MangoTangos digital sketchbook
Becoming good at measuring can be done doing alot of 3/4 view and tilting the head in different angle because the curve and angle are alot more extreme in the way they curve around the volume i would say in those moment in defining likeness.What also important is getting alot of thing right in the beginning meaning that proportion is often overlook because most artist make the error of starting to fast to lay down something that look like something.But really it might sound dumb but good observation come from being able to compare a from b and adjust.Not just merely working on one thing being accurate but each feature relating to one an other which can make the work look abstract at time.

The problem with overlooking proportion is that the less thight you have them figure out the more you are fighting with your drawing down the line.

Angle and curve are not that hard if you deconstruct them into a serie of curve and line they are hard because they require good muscle memory in tradional medium.Proportion on the other hand it tricky because it require someone to understand how to simplify what it see.

Do you generally work one drawing at a time or do you do multiple drawing and try to keep them around the same level of finish moving from one sketch to the other?

I ask this because to me it important to have a fresh eye when observing and by having multiple sketch you avoid the trap of i can't see anymore which happen when your eye get tired at look at the same object.

One thing you are probably aware but might not be actively doing and you should probably get more in touch with is setting pause to refresh the eye but also to aid the brain take a break because observing take it tool on you after a moment it can be very taxing.15min break is probably enough to still feel enough engage with the work but yet be refresh.It doesn't serve us to fight the drawing sometime you just gotta come back and realize you commited to hard and should move on.Sure being able to finish what we start is something we need to strive as artist but we also need to keep it honest when thing take the wrong turn and are beyond repair.

Oh and before i forget i suggest you frame you subject... your doing yourself a diservice by not doing so the frame is a valuable tool when it come to seeing negative shape.The frame will keep you honest and humble.

My Sketchbook

Perfection is unmeasurable therefor it impossible to reach it.

Messages In This Thread
MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by MangoTango - 04-19-2022, 02:14 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by Jephyr - 04-19-2022, 08:02 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by Crowbit - 05-16-2022, 08:03 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by darktiste - 05-16-2022, 11:53 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by darktiste - 05-29-2022, 03:33 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by darktiste - 05-29-2022, 06:30 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by darktiste - 06-11-2022, 08:44 PM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by Fjellmund - 06-13-2022, 08:39 PM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by Jephyr - 08-20-2022, 05:40 PM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by ItsAllHam - 09-09-2022, 08:12 AM
RE: MangoTangos digital sketchbook - by JosephCow - 09-09-2022, 11:05 AM