Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain
Star 
@Pubic Enemy

Glad you enjoyed the graffiti commentary, and the graffiti stuff looks dull in most cases next to high caliber illustration and concept artist. Yeah, it's just not the times for forums which is very sad because these places are awesome! LMAO, you are absolutely right on the Sisyphean effort, that boulder is always gonna come back down regardless.

I think it would be awesome for you to just apply color and do some mild to wild rendering on what you already have via digital on your character. The combination between traditional work, especially foundational under drawing, or painting, combined with digital always creates that "WOW" factor in my strong opinion; people will look at the work and not know whether it was digital or traditional. Consider using a soft round brush with noise applied and check the spacing of the brush to off; use this as a smudge brush at your choice strength (I like around 30%) to smoothly smear your traditional charcoal work with some grain in it still. Remember you can always do it non-destructively on a new layer with sample layers toggled on in Photoshop and by applying a layer mask you can paint back in or out the charcoal grain as desired to fine tune it. From here you can put some value over the character masked or not with transparent layer of choice, erase out some highlights, add color as desired and render or just leave black and gray and render. Skies the limit man! I posted a smudged example of just the face of your character and did this super-fast. 

Yeah, I love to work traditionally, but everything you said about digital in your comment for sure; no beating it. The thing I hate most about traditional work is accumulating tons of work that forms clutter in my living space, along with constantly having to spend on art supplies, but I'm learning how to work minimally for sure. Like my friend Jeff Dekal says, you can do a lot with a little =) You have inspired me to do some traditional work though, so hopefully I can get back to that soon, I'm still settling into my new apartment life and need to get a drawing table, so I have an area to put in work comfortably. Traditional does limit what you can do digitally, but just work more traditionally via digital, that's honestly what I do, and when I got back to working traditionally it not only is like riding a bike but all the improvements, I made working digitally come through working back traditionally which is great. There are some things like layer modes, and dodge, etc. that can juice digital work up, but still, you just paint a little darker traditionally and go lighter on your effects and you're golden.

Yeah, Bobby's method with the two-pencil technique is really dope, I can't wait to try it out soon. He's been posting a lot of cool other stuff as well which is great. That last tutorial I posted is very interesting with using the textured soft brush to get a digital graphite or charcoal look on paper. I've already made a brush similar to what he is using and that is going great, and he just simply paints in and erases out to get what you see going on in the video there.

Here's where I'm at with my illustration; and although not seen in this post, I'm re-working that right leg. Really loving the process of this and really working loosely with everything. I can say I really do have a method finally, like an ordered process of steps that I follow to get me through my images. I'm always experimenting along the way, but I feel artists should really work hard in refining their general process to produce most quickly and efficiently no doubt.

Enjoying listening to this old album while I work. Please feel free to post a music link or two of what you listen too for discovery and inspiration. I am eclectic in both my art and music taste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fk_fvZs1t4

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun

Messages In This Thread
Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Pubic Enemy - 06-09-2023, 02:06 AM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-09-2023, 02:41 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-09-2023, 06:00 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-10-2023, 08:18 AM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-14-2023, 02:22 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-17-2023, 04:11 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-18-2023, 07:51 AM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-21-2023, 03:44 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-23-2023, 01:17 PM
RE: Crimson CHOW #45 - Super Villain - by Lege1 - 06-25-2023, 10:54 AM