What makes a good study (need a bit of help)
Hey, I have a few issues,

I've been having a bit of trouble understanding how to conduct the most useful studies, so far the ones I have done I seem to spend alot of time on, refining them generally all over, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Should I be focusing on certain things and be spending less time?
Also I've been having issues deciding what exactly I should choose to study. Reason being is I have quite a big deal of things to learn, and understand. I guess it's a bit overwhelming.

I know my main area I feel I should learn is human anatomy, But lately my lines and focus have been off for some reason for studies, and I seem to just get frustrated. I do paint every day though, I'll connect my tablet, Try some studies, and if that doesn't work out just try to go from imagination. Even if it usually ends up just getting erased or deleted, I guess I'm still practicing a bit but I doesnt go to far. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me, and can explain how to do good studies (by that I mean get the most out of them, learn)

Here's my Crimson Daggers sketchbook if anyone want's to give me some tips on those or issues I should deal with(I know a few of them blend in too much with the background), I've labeled the studies. But the line issue has only been a recent problem.

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-911.html

Replies are much appreciated.

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

If you are trying to get into anatomy, I wouldn't start with doing full detailed re-drawings of models, but rather start with gestures. Well, this isn't a new tip but it works. try sites like:
http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
start with quick drawings, like only 30 seconds per picture and just try to captrue the general shapes. You will notice that after a time it gets easier. then try one minute, then two minutes. Also, again an old tip: try reading the Loomis book about anatomy - then try some gestures, but instead of drawing the personl, draw how you think the skeleton is positined.
You should not simply redraw what you see, but also understand some of the principles that lie beneath. also, if you simply redraw the possibility is high that you draw less what you see, but more what you think something should look like. You should always look more at the reference than your paper/ screen. Btw, try out doing studies with pencil and paper - it is probably still more natural, and might help you with your line problem.

Really detailed studies are more used if you try to study a special surface, or color scheme, or lighting.

Hope this helps, I am still much of a newbie myself struggling with studies :D

Thanks for the reply, really helpfull stuff, I'll start up on some gestures soon. I havent tried any before. I'll deffinately try to capture the shapes more so, I think I was going about the timed poses wrong before, by trying to get details in.

I'd probably say getting your fundamentals down is key, research the human anatomy, what is under the skin, muscle, what is under that etc how everything connects to everything (the Loomis books are invaluable as mentioned above! check out the resources page there are many great links to helpful material there) and that website saraiza gave is excellent.
After looking at your sketchbook again I'd suggest drawing from life would be very helpful, not from a picture but from something that's in front of you. This will help you to understand light and how it hit's form. I would say try to paint using only value while doing this, do'nt draw in line work, so you take a large brush and start to put in the darks etc and then add in the different tones, as if you were actually painting on a canvas. There is an excellent free 5 minute video here http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/6/30/...value.html explaining how to go about it. Also there are many other videos and resources on this site (which has greatly helped me) to do with digital painting.

Also your scale of value in your grayscale studies is very limited don't be afraid to get into the darkest and lightest values, experimant with them. Overall I'd say studying from life would be the best way to help, and what you learn from these studies can be applied to your drawings from imagination, it will make you able to better draw without reference.

Hope that can be of some help to you :)

Thanks for the reply, I tried some Gestures for the first time today, aswell as a still life. Better do more gestures because I dont have a very lose flow I found doing the ones I did today.