Dan's Sketchbook
Cheers, ill try and update a bit more regularly :)

A mix of perspective, self portraits and some random bits

[Image: file-45.jpg]
[Image: file-46.jpg]
[Image: file-47.jpg]
[Image: file-48.jpg]
[Image: file-49.jpg]

The last 3 days I've been in London at Lavender Hill Studios doing the emerging artists course. Basically learning as much as possible in such a short space of time, and giving us the skills so that we can go away and keep improving with a fundamental structure behind our paintings. Its fair to say that it was absolutely amazing, I earn so much, the people there were so nice and id recommend taking courses there to anyone :D

So heres the work i produced from the week:

Cast work, proportions, Chiaroscuro (light and shade)
[Image: file-50.jpg]

Still lifes, applying colour
[Image: file-51.jpg]
[Image: file-52.jpg]

Portrait
[Image: file-53.jpg]

Life painting
[Image: file-54.jpg]

The website is [URL="http://lavenderhillstudios.com/"]http://lavenderhillstudios.com/[/URL] if you want to check it out
And these short articles cover the majority of the stuff on the course so definitely check them out! [URL="http://lavenderhillstudios.com/category/art-articles/"]Link[/URL]

Enjoy :)

Hey nice studies! Painting is going really well, nice value control, I really like those apples.

Practice drawing -placement, construction and lineflow, it will pay off.
Keep it up, cheers!

Cheers Ivan :) Ive definitely improved so much in the last couple of days, just need to figure out how to do the same thing without someone telling me what to do ;)
Ill definitely keep practicing, as much as possible :) Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot

So apparently it was self portrait day yesterday and no one told me, so I've done one today instead
Trying to apply what i learnt on the course :) I set up the lighting as dramatic as i could, not sure id be able to use the same techniques to the same effect with more natural lighting

[Image: file-55.jpg]

Crits and comments always welcome :)

Another self portrait, this time with process
[Image: file-56.jpg]
[Image: file-57.jpg]
[Image: file-58.jpg]
[Image: file-59.jpg]

And a quick charcoal self portrait b/w sketch
[Image: file-60.jpg]

Thanks for stopping by :)

Once again, taking ages to post :/
Oh well, here goes

Sketchbook stuff
[Image: file-61.jpg]
[Image: file-62.jpg]
[Image: file-63.jpg]
[Image: file-64.jpg]
[Image: file-65.jpg]

Life drawings - 2 weeks worth
[Image: file-66.jpg]
[Image: file-67.jpg]
Chalk pastels
[Image: file-68.jpg]
[Image: file-69.jpg]
[Image: file-70.jpg]

Fun with pens in my little sketchbook
[Image: file-71.jpg]
[Image: file-72.jpg]
[Image: file-73.jpg]

Also, i just bought a new sketchbook :) However I'm only about half way through my current one so I'm going to aim to finish it by christmas (should be about a page a day) so i can start on my nice new one :D Another small way of motivating myself to draw more...

Thanks for looking :)

Life drawing
[Image: file-78.jpg]
[Image: file-77.jpg]
[Image: file-76.jpg]

sketchbook stuff
[Image: file-80.jpg]
[Image: file-79.jpg]
[Image: file-74.jpg]

I got a brush pen :)

Sketchbook stuff
[Image: file-90.jpg]
[Image: file-89.jpg]
[Image: file-88.jpg]
[Image: file-87.jpg]
[Image: file-86.jpg]
[Image: file-85.jpg]
[Image: file-84.jpg]
[Image: file-83.jpg]
[Image: file-82.jpg]
[Image: file-81.jpg]

Quick sunset painting
[Image: file-94.jpg]

Life Drawing
[Image: file-93.jpg]
[Image: file-92.jpg]

Finished version of the previous sunset painting
[Image: file-95.jpg]

Two new paintings, experimenting with a palette knife, it gives some cool effects :)
[Image: file-96.jpg]
[Image: file-97.jpg]

Sketchbook stuff, human proportions are hard :(
[Image: file-98.jpg]
[Image: file-99.jpg]
[Image: file-100.jpg]

Study of a Leonid Afremov painting
Oil on canvas board, A4, using a palette knife

[Image: file-101.jpg]
[Image: file-102.jpg]
[Image: file-103.jpg]
[Image: file-104.jpg]
[Image: file-105.jpg]
[Image: file-106.jpg]
[Image: file-107.jpg]

Sketchbook stuff
Hands
[Image: file-111.jpg]
[Image: file-110.jpg]
[Image: file-109.jpg]

A few quick sketches from stills of galdalf in lord of the rings, flower and minimal line face
[Image: file-108.jpg]

Thanks for looking :)

Looking good :) Getting way better man, just try to keep proportions in the back of your mind while you work, like comparing the heights of different elements, checking that they match your reference. So, comparing the space between the bottom of the eyes and the brow, vs the height of the nose for example, is it the same, double, or a bit more/less. I dno, just try and think in proportions, especially when working from life or a mirror :).

But yeah, everything looks cool, the painting study was sweet, and your latest self portrait painting looked awesome. Keep it coming!

Cheers bro :) yeh i definitely need to focus on them more, as you can see by the self portrait i just did - i should really stop rushing!!

Haven't done any sketchbook stuff in a while, but it seems I've been spending most of my time painting :P

A3 Study, i don't think the water worked on this one, waves not right
[Image: file-112.jpg]

A4 studying [URL="http://alrasyid.deviantart.com/"]Alrasyid's [/URL] paintings
[Image: file-114.jpg]
[Image: file-115.jpg]
A5, very quick study from the same artist
[Image: file-118.jpg]

A4, very quick study of my dog
[Image: file-116.jpg]

A3, like i said, i knew it was off from the initial sketch but kept going rather than fixing it. oh well :P
[Image: file-117.jpg]

And finally, some hand studies from Bridgman
[Image: file-119.jpg]

Happy new year!

Recent sketchbook stuff:
[Image: file-120.jpg]
[Image: file-121.jpg]
[Image: file-122.jpg]
[Image: file-123.jpg]

Digital, why do you hate me?!? I'm planning to do more digital work so wish me luck
heres my unfinished self portrait for you, ill get better soon i promise :'(
[Image: file-124.jpg]

More coming soon :)

Digital study of this Leonid Afremov painting
[Image: file-126.jpg]

Sketchbook stuff, focusing on proportions and trying to figure out how the hell to draw people :P
[Image: file-131.jpg]
[Image: file-132.jpg]
[Image: file-133.jpg]

Also, I've been working through Isra's perspective class - check it out here, its been really useful so far and can only see it getting better :)
Heres my first 2 classes worth of stuff
[Image: file-129.jpg]
[Image: file-130.jpg]
[Image: file-127.jpg]
[Image: file-128.jpg]

Started a new small sketchbook which I'm planning on carrying around with me everywhere to sketch on the go :)
[Image: file-134.jpg]
Free-hand perspective is hard :P
[Image: file-135.jpg]
[Image: file-136.jpg]

Also, I've got my first uni interview on the 30th so I'm hoping to finish this sketchbook by then. wish me luck :) I've applied for game art courses, my top choice being at De Montfort University :)
[Image: file-137.jpg]

Reasonably quick zorn study, using the zorn palette (black, white, ocre & vermillion)
I really should have started from the right. i ended up with a huge space left on the canvas which just looks stupid, but oh well :P
[Image: file-139.jpg]

And a painting id been working on at college, finished now, don't like it very much.
[Image: file-138.jpg]

Also, i forgot to post this pairing that i did a college from a while ago. The longest time I've spent on a piece in quite a long time.
At the time i wasn't very happy with the result but over time i think its growing on me :P
[Image: file-140.jpg]

I got an interview at De Montfort on the 7th so I'm going to be doing as much as possible between now and then. in the portfolio they've asked for landscape drawings from life so i need to figure out how the hell to do that :L also, its snowing outside so that makes the task even more dreadful :P

First life drawing of the year. on reflection parts of it doesn't really look like skin because of the harsh folds using pen. oh well.
[Image: file-141.jpg]

Really quick portrait i did last night, about 45 mins in the end
[Image: file-142.jpg]

the sketching process of a painting i started but haven't taken anywhere yet. I'm getting into the habit of constructing the head with every single portrait which is really helping i think :) any anatomy help is always appreciated :D
[Image: file-144.jpg]
[Image: file-145.jpg]
[Image: file-146.jpg]
[Image: file-147.jpg]

Three more portraits and my first 2 attempts at landscape life drawing. they won't all be this disgusting i promise :) (i hope...)
[Image: file-148.jpg]
[Image: file-149.jpg]