Catfist's pitiful attempts at art
[Image: damnufurskinballs.jpg]

[Image: skinfx.jpg]

[Image: birdlizardstudy1.jpg]

first time working digitally in a long time. Just figured if I posted it would motivate me to improve.

[Image: doodlyveins2.jpg]

30 min speed paint of some veins or something.

aaaaaaand some shitty face sketches from yesterday.

[Image: photo.jpeg]

I really need a scanner, phone camera just doesn't cut it.
oh god. the shame.
Hey man, welcome!

Nice studies, keep them up!
On the veins studies you just seem to have missed the shadows on the fleshy tones. The shadows along with well places speculars are what sells volumes and texture of the piece, so you may want to focus on getting those values right.

Welcome again, and update often!

Some really truly awful clouds:

[Image: NCpA5l.jpg]

gah, but hey push through the awful to get to the good right?!

animal(?) eye from imagination:

[Image: adjN7.jpg]
Vertical head rotation study:

With much thanks to Kxhara on deviantart for the stock over which I traced for the study.
I know you're all shaking your heads at the word "tracing" and blacklisting me from your hearts, but it's the most accurate way for me to figure this stuff out!

[Image: verticalheadrotationstudy.jpg]
I'm not gonna blacklist ya.

As long as you are aware that it is the beginning of the learning process and you are striving towards not using that particular crutch. Everyone learns differently.

(Hope we didn't just open up a shitstorm on ourselves.)

Nice lizard sketches

[Image: zRWysl.jpg]

[Image: 9IS4El.jpg]
Looking good. And that dog is adorable. That is all :)

Oh, good to see your sketchbook here! Keep working on! : D

Love this place! everyone's so friendly! Anyways, trial storm clouds. Still having a heck of a lot of trouble making clouds:

[Image: stormclouds4.jpg]

I'd like to figure out how to make the shapes more defined.
Hey Cat, have you tried out the Ctrl Paint videos yet? They have a series on this - they are a nice start. Here, check this one and the next (pt2) out: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/brush-control-pt-1/
It may help :) Fire are question you got, some very talented people around here can always help :)

Loose rendering of blind kitty:

[Image: blindkitty.jpg]

I think the eyes turned out okay but I really need to work on the basic form of things rather than the details. Blargh.

5 minute reference free face doodle. Kind of gross looking but OH WELL:

[Image: facedoodle.jpg]

First ever environment:

[Image: environment1.jpg]

OH GOD MY EYES D:

Mountain and trees from memory. I really need to work on my clouds. . . and mountains. . . and trees. . .

[Image: landscape.jpg]
Another feeble attempt at clouds. Uhg. Clouds.

[Image: amtQFl.jpg]
First thing, stop hating on your work using the words 'feeble' ;) We're all learning and all here to help each other.

Artists have to love their own work enough to continue drawing, yet at the same time hate their work enough to want to improve and learn. We tread a fine fine line!

Incase you don't have them: http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Grab yourself the figure drawing and the head & hands one. Study, have fun and keep up the good work ^_^

Grr. Animals. Really need to get working on the basic shapes of things.

[Image: 88A80l.jpg]

Really frustrating not to be where I want to be with art at this point, but realizing that really does give me the kick in the pants I need to keep working and improving.
[Image: elfstrt.jpg]

[Image: elfchick.jpg]

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY PEOPLE NEED SKIN. IT'S STUPID ANYWAYS. *goes off and pouts in a corner*

Also I should mention these are all reference free

[Image: blahface2.jpg]

[Image: jskafbfda.jpg]

[Image: guyhead.jpg]
Hey don't beat yourself up so much! I think one thing that would really help you is to go and study from real life, anything, a still life, human model, a tree, whatever you want but just start drawing things you see in front of you in 3D space, it will help you with rendering and understanding form. Cuase I saw you say twice that you should study it :P.
Also good job on the imagination skin tones, goign and studying skin tone with ref then coming back and doing it without ref would prob help to cement what you learned and take your skin tones to the next level.

Hey there, looking good so far. Consider looking at Bridgman's and Loomis' instructional books for guidance. Leave clouds alone for a while :)

Been working on paper for the past little while but here's a little doodle:

[Image: eyebetter.jpg]
awwww that baby dog thing was like omgtoocuteiwanttorubitallovermyface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hey cool faces man! keep this update