Owl Knight
Hey everybody,
I have two questions about this WIP.

[Image: AOvNC.jpg]

The first one is of course technique: what would you guys say works, what needs improvement.
Secondly: this picture was done after I finished a study on an armor piece (on the right) and an older study of an owl (below the other study). I actually just slapped those together, warped and tweaked and then painted over it. to me that feels kinda cheaty... I mean, I know that the result usually justifies the approach, but I don't know, feels wrong ^^

what do you guys think, lemme know.

Cheers,
Flo

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
well, I guess it looks pretty good so far.
referencing is good, but I would tweak some things more - especially because there is an owl in the armor, not a normal person.
First - the sword is magically floating on the side - just draw in some belt over the armor, problem fixed.
then owls have no taille - a more roundish armor would probably work better.
then make the rest of the image work together - let the owl have a mor fierce look, or a torn helmet. I also think the arms on the side are too straight - you could bend the left hand so, that it rests on the hilt of the sword for example.
also, I see you humanized the owl a bit (hands) but left the legs .I would make the legs longer - a warrior who needs to waddle towards you is not very scary.
well, those are my two cents, I don't know if they helped you.

other than that i like the painterly look of it, all the colors go pretty well with each other and the idea is something new, too. :D

@ Saraiza
thanks for the comment and the crits, they are very useful. :)

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
you did a fine job on this one, perhaps introduce some soft edges in there more,I feel the edges are slightly too hard in alot of areas, and need something that holds the sword i place it looks like it's floating, other then that dude I love the general concept of giving and owl arms, nice imagination there :)

you did a fine job on this one, perhaps introduce some soft edges in there more,I feel the edges are slightly too hard in alot of areas, and need something that holds the sword i place it looks like it's floating, other then that dude I love the general concept of giving and owl arms, nice imagination there :)