could anyone offer an opinion?
[Image: 7976258328_fb22f3bd9d_b.jpg]
lightsarmy by gswine, on Flickr

I'm just totally stuck on this. I started this in august, worked on it for a few days then gave up because I thought it was stupid. But I keep coming back to work on it, and I can't seem to move on. So maybe some advice is needed?

By the way, it's supposed to be a "double fanart" as in it's a world of warcraft drawing (although not in the style of) and it's a portrait of the singer "Light's" character she plays in wow.
Ok Frankie - so - first thing I noticed was the fact that the proportions/pose of the character feels off - so I'd check some reference on that. It seems to me that she has proportions of a dwarf as it is. I did a little paintover to warm myself up - so here goes:

[Image: qrgsqq.jpg]

So basicly - your picure has great potential - you have great rendering on her armor, great color palette and your concept is fine - just sit down and take the time it takes. Get the reference you want for the pose, figure out how the picture should feel - fix the things I've written/painted down on the paintover, and you're on your way to your next fantasy portfolio-piece.

Hope it helped.
/Benjamin
Hello Frankie

Nice start! Here are some more ideas and tips for you. Try keeping the highest contrast near the main focus point meaning here the face and armor. I would lighten up that big black mass by her cloak. And also consider introducing a different cooler color to really bring forward the warm reds and yellows you got.

As for the horns on her head. Make separate studies from different angels. Horns are complex shapes turning and twisting in several directions.

Last and most importantly I would like you to not get bogged down in details to soon. Get the composition and big shapes and values worked out first. Work zoomed way out.

Cheers, hope some might help

[Image: paintorver01.jpg]

(09-14-2012, 08:32 AM)Frankie Wrote: [Image: 7976258328_fb22f3bd9d_b.jpg]
lightsarmy by gswine, on Flickr

I'm just totally stuck on this. I started this in august, worked on it for a few days then gave up because I thought it was stupid. But I keep coming back to work on it, and I can't seem to move on. So maybe some advice is needed?

By the way, it's supposed to be a "double fanart" as in it's a world of warcraft drawing (although not in the style of) and it's a portrait of the singer "Light's" character she plays in wow.
head and her left arm are too big for the rest of the body

Hi there Frankie,

It's a good work you got there. I think you must use Flip Canvas often. With that you can aware of your anatomic errors and fix that. Also it gives you a different perspective. Hope it helps at least a little :)

Take care!