Challenge - Environment 2
Ok guys it's time for the second environment challenge!

This time the job is to create an environment where the natural plant life has been destroyed - by what or who is up to you. The inhabitants of this environment have taken it upon themselves to recreate the beauty of the plant life that once existed in this place using man made materials, glass, metal etc.

Due date Mon Oct 17th.

POst your WIPs up here and show the progress taking place! :)

**Just to let you know I will try to give a critique and possibley a video paint over on each finished (or as far as you get with the piece by deadline) entry unless of course the piece is beyond my skill level. But if you feel you are just a beginner or would like a paint over and would like to enter I will try to help you out as best I can . - Must be original entries for this challenge only though ;).

Heya Jon,

I am interested in giving this challenge a go, but unfortunately I don't know whether I would be able to do a full illustration as I am a bit sparse for time at the moment.

Would ideas/sketches or maybe thumbnails be acceptable as well?

Best,

Mathias

Opinions are like assholes... we've all got one of 'em
Blog - DA Profile "Eraza" - CD Sketchbook "Mathias' Markings"
Yeah no prob, pushing yourself as far as you can with it with the time you have available is fine even if you dont manage to finish it and you just have sketches etc you can still participate and post up your progress.

In that case I'd be happy to give this a go =)

Ok this is my progress so far, 2 quick thumbnail studies and the early stages of getting the shapes down for the enviro challenge painting. Gonna carry on doing this even if im the only one :P, I hope not but either way.

Edit - progress so far no. 3

Edit no. 2 progress so far no. 4

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey JonHop,

I am doing this one too and I really like your thumbnails, that's what I've been doing so far too!

Not trying to be a dick, but just want to make sure that you caught the below text in bold. It reads to me like we need to create an illustration that shows an environment which natural plant life has been artificially recreated by the indigenous population because the natural plant life was wiped out by 'something'.

(09-28-2012, 03:27 AM)JonHop Wrote: This time the job is to create an environment where all natural plant life has been destroyed - by what or who is up to you. The inhabitants of this environment have taken it upon themselves to recreate the beauty of the organic life that once existed in this place using man made materials.

Best,

-Mathias

that is what its supposed to be, i havent added in the man made things yet though, in fact im gonna change imthe descriptipn a little to make more sense, thanks for pointing that out. lookin forward to seeing what u come up with dude!

Oh god... I just realized you're the one who actually came up with the challenge. My face is so red right now! My apologies, I always forget who wrote what on these forums heh.

Looking forward to checking out your piece as it progresses ^^

Here's what little I've come up with so far:

Sketches of the 'plants'

[Image: EnvironmentChallenge2-plantsketches.png]

Thumbnails

[Image: EnvironmentChallenge2-Thumbnails.png]

This weekend I will be figuring out the scene I want to work with and get started on the actual picture.

Good fun so far!

Haha no worries, there's no problem, we're all here to learn and grow ;). The description is a little bit wordy anyway, so i edited it a little.

Looking good so far, I like the composition thumbnail on the far right best. Even though I came up with the idea for the challenge its posing me more problems than the last one lol. Hopefully I can pull off at least a little bit what im gonna try and do with the artificial plant life, we'll see.

This is where I got to with my image.

[Image: EnvironmentChallenge2-MathiasJ.png]

I realized that I spent way too much time at coming up with it and way too little time on actually painting it.

I had good fun doing this though and it's definitely helped me realize more about my strengths and weaknesses so all in all I am happy about it.

Thanks for the fun challenge, JonHop!

Good job Mathias, glad it was helpful to you, this is how far I got with mine.

I'm gonna see with piotr if he's able to run the next one or not, if not I'll post up a new one if its cool with him.

Attached Files Image(s)