Help Pleeeeeeease.
Been staring at this guy for ages now and can't work out whats wrong with him, must of rescaled his head 45,000 times.
Anyway my main issue nailing the lighting and that hand, at fist glance it just doesn't pop and kind of blends in with everything else, then you go "ooh it's his hand"
Currently have gurneys colour and light book on order to hopefully get out of my terrible habbit of using black everywhere!!

Any help would be awesome. :)

[Image: critttttt.jpg]

[Image: devilglonk.jpg]

I adjusted lights a little and fixed the hand. Head isn't bad in my opinion. I have issues with the contrast though.

Hope you like it.

hey man, i really like his expression. i think the main problem here is that, his face and chest/hand area are the same in regards to contrast, so they are competing. maybe push the face back into the shadow. also his chest is to narrow in my opinion.
i made a little overpaint.
[Image: KoAoq.jpg]

rescaled the head (45,001st time! :D ), rescaled the chest to make i a bit wider and pushed the head into the shadow. then i decided to put more emphasis on his blue eyes, but that is maybe too much. after that i saw his is crying. is that a narrative decision or did you do it because it felt cool (like i did it with the eyes :D ) because i seems kinda weird that he is covered in blood but a single tear is rolling down his cheek. or is he maybe an instrumentalized hypnotized marionette of a killer master mind doing hits against his will? maybe you should clearify your vision of the character, because a clear vision can greatly help when trying to finalize an image.

cheers,
Flo

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
He's the main character of my book, and yeah the tear is a narrative decision.
In the intro of the book he see's is wife being killed, then has to do the killers dirty work for him.

I like the wider chest, think that really helps. I'll keep at it!!
Cheers for the help people. :)

Also, I'd do a couple of hand studies, that hand might be what is throwing you off in regards to proportion.

From base of the palm to the tip of your middle finger is generally the size of your face.
Also fingers outstretched (measuring from tip of little finger to thumb tip) is the same length as your upper arm, also your forearm to wrist and interestingly generally the same length as your foot - hope it helps :)