Crit with lighting and color
Hello

I drew this one last night and I'm really trying to learn proper lighting and color application in a realist way.. In my eyes this is good but it doesnt seam to have the "jump out of the page" effect or rich colour of creatures done by others.. Brenttholowell for example.
When i try to add more vibrance to my work it looks too saturated and muddies the details. This sketch was done in BW first for values and then an overlay colour layer + soft light colour layer was added.

Cheers
[Image: carrion_stalk__d_by_vorseth-d5ip1jn.jpg]
(10-23-2012, 01:55 PM)Vorseth Wrote: Hello

I drew this one last night and I'm really trying to learn proper lighting and color application in a realist way.. In my eyes this is good but it doesnt seam to have the "jump out of the page" effect or rich colour of creatures done by others.. Brenttholowell for example.
When i try to add more vibrance to my work it looks too saturated and muddies the details. This sketch was done in BW first for values and then an overlay colour layer + soft light colour layer was added.

Cheers
[Image: carrion_stalk__d_by_vorseth-d5ip1jn.jpg]

Man I think it's getting pretty good, I'm a noob when it comes to digital painting, bug I think that your drawing kind of lacks focus, I would bring a light source in order to put more values on the picture!! Keep it up, cuz it's gonna get great!
Ur lighting is actually ok, TO complete the piece I would make a darker background and make softer edges on the outside of the creater, and really bring in some hard crisp edges and sharper light on the face to make it more focal, good choice of light source, try using diffierent lighting schemes to such as under lighting, back lighting :)