Trying to work a couple things out.
'Sup, Daggers?

I've got this illustration I started yesterday and added some love to today. I typically wrap up most of my pieces within 6 hours (bad habit) but I know that in order to level up I'm going to have to break that threshold.

Either way here's what I've got going thus far. It's a figure-driven piece, but I plan on inferring a background once I've got her in order.

As far as the concept, she's a low-level caster using a dispel bell.

I'd really enjoy some critique to make this a more entrancing image...if I have to take a break and do some studies I'm more than willing.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Image(s)

Cool piece already. I like her outfit, simple and still looks intresting.

As for advice, definetly find a ref for that hand as it will be one of the 3 things the veiwer will look at the most. Maybe find a way to show her other arm( the space between her hand and stomache maybe?)
This is just a suggestion, but you could add arcane energy coming from the bell in some way and coiling it around her hand and up the arm. Also maybe make the bell slightly transparent so it feels like it was conjured( I assume it was,) right now I question if it is actually a physical object or not.

Hope this helps!

Love the color you have going in the jacket! What you have here I would consider a rough sketch, you may have several rough sketches before you move onto the final piece. In this stage you work on composition, values and anatomy (if it is figurative piece). Have fun with the piece, try a variety of facial expressions, tilt her head some, facial and figurative expression will help you tell her story. People search out faces first so make sure the face is correct. In the end you need to tell a story so, "what is her story?"

I am excited to find out!

Just wanted to say thanks to both of you for the immensely useful feedback! I implemented as much of it as I could during the pipeline of this image.

I was fairly happy with the figure, but knew that a directive composition & better face were certainly in order.

I asked myself "who practices dispelling nothingness?" so it turns out she's in the forest, practicing necromancy instead.

Next time I'll do a lot more delineation and exploration regarding figure, setting, story, etc.

for now I'm off to do more studies and fairly quicker concepts. The time it took to finish this piece was about 18 hours :D.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work! I love the way you tilted her head, her face looks great. Your color pallet is really nice and I love the loose brush work.

Great piece would love to see more!

if you still want some critique, i will give my two cents.

There are three main problems with the last picture, one is the values.
The whole picture looks dark, dull. You need to pull those darks/lights to make the picture more interesting.
And second, composition.
In the last picture, the flow of the image leads the eye towards that evil red cloud from her hand, but the point of interest still resides on her eyes.

And finally, storytelling. Why is a wizard girl in the middle of nonwhere casting an evil spell or something like that? i mean, you already explained what is she doing in your last post, but without that explanation the viewer is lost.

Hope this helps!

(11-27-2012, 05:09 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: if you still want some critique, i will give my two cents.

There are three main problems with the last picture, one is the values.
The whole picture looks dark, dull. You need to pull those darks/lights to make the picture more interesting.
And second, composition.
In the last picture, the flow of the image leads the eye towards that evil red cloud from her hand, but the point of interest still resides on her eyes.

And finally, storytelling. Why is a wizard girl in the middle of nonwhere casting an evil spell or something like that? i mean, you already explained what is she doing in your last post, but without that explanation the viewer is lost.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the insight. I showed the image to my friends and classmates and they were able to discern that she's practicing necromancy in the forest without any explanation, but I did do some touch-ups in regards to your first two points. I'll certainly keep this crit in mind next time I'm working on a more involved piece.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey man, this has really come a long way from the start. Your values are a lot stronger now and you're colors are nice and rich but not obnoxious. I know you've probably called this one finish but to me it's "almost" finished. I love the loose brush strokes but I would tighten it up just a bit on the areas of focus. Her hands and face.

I wouldn't tighten it up to the point it doesn't fit in but I think a little edge control will give you more interest and pull you in a bit more. My 2¢.

www.AdamMiconi.com
blog.adammiconi.com
Facebook.com/AdamMiconi
Twitter.com/AdamMiconi
it looks much better in terms of values, Adam is right, working a bit more on the edges will enhance the picture a lot!