Hand pain- any advice?
This is how it worked for me:
I have mild carpal tunnel since I was in high school, in grade 9. And I've only tried to treat it with the doctor after 3 years. I hurt it when I wrote so fast on my exam cuz I wanted to finish it quickly lol.

Actually, I was so afraid that it would hurt when I try to draw so I didn't do anything like drawing, just playing video games a lil' and surfing the net on a laptop (cuz trackpads are more less dangerous than a mouse for the pain)

A friend suggested I go to a physical therapist. The PT told me:

That I should stop doing strenuous activities like surfing for how long on the net. Just 30 minutes then rest for maybe 10 minutes.

I do hand stretches and arm stretches cuz I also have problems with my posture.

And I get rehabs like paraffin wax and a massage on my shoulders.

When you play on your tablet, your eyes should be on the same level as your view on the tablet. So don't look down. Your sleeping position should be that your ass doesn't stick out and that it should be straight.

I totally would like that therapeutic hand gloves for myself! But I guess my hands are okay now after the rehab. Hope this helps. :)
So I noted in the previous page that my hand felt better after changing my workstation. While this is true the pain never really went away completely and would flare up if I did any kind of intense work.

Eventually after several doctors what seems to have solved my problem was ultrasound therapy from a chiropractor.

Just tossing it out there, if you have hand pain try to see a few doctors/ chiropractors until someone solves your problem. I had to see 4 doctors until I finally gained my normal hands back :P

Also try to vary between drawing with a pencil/ wacom/ charcoal while standing at an easel or sitting in different positions so you don't repeat something for much too long.

Good luck.

Well, I guess I should post here as well lol:)

I had the tingling sensation due to drawing on a tablet/holding a mouse, but it never continued afterwards. Well, yesterday, when I went to bed, my right hand felt tingly and cold and all that stuff. Not much, but I've noticed it. I tried rubbing it or putting it in a downwards position, but it didn't do much.
And today when I got up it didn't go away lol:)
So, I'm thinking about giving it a rest and minimize practice and computer use for a day or two. This is the first time this has happened and I hope it'll go away and that it's not some irreversible major step in the direction of screwed up hand...

The sensation is very delicate, but it's annoying if I don't focus on other things. Also, my hand doesn't feel weak or anything like that. I can do everything with it with full efficiency. I also thik that I "feel" the underside of the wrist and the underarm (which I "felt" before, but only after drawing/mouse use).

Do you know of any specific (and tested in practice?) exercises for this. We talked a bit about it in the shoutbox and I've also googled a bit, but if there's someone with an extensive knowledge, they might step forwards:)

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook
Gyroball, I swear it nearly cures arthritis. I bought one at big 5, worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIf1H-C8ZmM
I had a similar issue, but I suspect mine was early signs of carpal tunnel so I wore a wrist splint and applied ice to cool the inflammation, which eventually worked. Since then I occasionally also wear the wrist splint to sleep at night so my wrist is in neutral position.

The whole ergonomic workplace setup definitely helps too.

Must keep hands healthy!

Industrial designer by day, Concept designer by night.

Portfolio
Blog
I don't know how others draw, but I mostly have issues with finger pain. My way around this is I wrap black electric tape around the fingers that grip the pencil; that seems to be enough for me.

Those wrist splints look interesting. I wonder how comfortable it is to work with, though.
Well I also have (mild) issues with RSS.
I have a wrist and elbow brace for protection, have a look ;-)
http://bracesupport.com/Medical-Specialt...tBrace.jpg

Besides of taking brakes I do more and more active things

negative things

NO vidyagames
answering emails only when it is absolutly necessary

positive things

-lineart with pencil or pen NO wacom bamboo one - just my opinion
- jogging/ ergobike
- yoga and excerices
check this channel for some excercises
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...re=mh_lolz
- lifting ultralight weights
- eating vegetables and fruits
- left hand for my mouse (right hand is predominant)