Creature concept paintover/critique please!
Hey!
Right, im doing a zombie design at the moment, its a 'hound' class one, but seeing as it is a mutated human i wanted to keep some human properties.
What ive gone for is a human style torso (will have organs hanging out the ribcage... fun I know :D ) and hound style for the legs etc. (i did anything to avoid saying 'doggie style' there, i hope you appreciate it!)
I've been told that it looks too different from the skeletal structure of a dog, but I kinda wanted it to be tortured in way, with bones jutting out at wierd angles and exaggerated limbs like long arms etc. Have I gone to far with this? And what should I be doing with the back around the pelvis area?
I would also add this is very much a work in progress, so i will be detailing the rest of the body not just the face and a bit on the arms.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers!

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I'm gonna comment the character design itself, I won't talk about the technique and style, cuz that's a matter of personal taste!
So let's begin, I feel that your concept is very nice, but I feel the the face seems to be disconnected to the body, the face lines should also come somehow in the rest of the body! About the legs, I'm a bit concerced how legs look like, they look like a pan's leg, but it's working as a dog leg, the bone coming out is also a lil awkward I'd study different placement. I also don't get why there are some horns in his back, I means he has boneSpikes where there shouldn't be and where there could be there are lil needle looking horns, it's something to be thought.
Your concept is great, it's just lacking some refinement! Go ahead, take more time to think about the things going on and how they help your character to comunicate, don't put add stuff just cause they look nice!!
I hope my comment was useful!
I would spend some more time drawing some animal extremities. I don't intend to come off as rude, seriously, try studying some animals and lizards, and really focus on the musculature, ligaments and bones. These kinds of things get stored in your brain, which you ought to treat like a visual hard-drive, and the more you study something, the more you can recreate it. The same goes for drawing the boring bits, you know, those still lifes no one REALLY likes doing. Thing is, when you paint a still life, the information regarding light and shadow, as well as form and composition, gets loaded into that same visual harddrive I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying completely ditch drawing the fun stuff. No, because then its not fun to draw if all you do is study. Just add some studies to your daily routine. My suggestions would be to look at hyenas, german shepherds, dogs to get an idea how they move, run, etc. That will inform you about this piece. Go to reddit's gore section to look at how skin flays off the body (sucks, but...reference is god).

I apologize if it seems like I went off on a tangent.
I like the idea, otherwise I wouldn't have spilled my schpiel.
(02-03-2013, 04:43 AM)jake4nd3rs0n Wrote: I would spend some more time drawing some animal extremities. I don't intend to come off as rude, seriously, try studying some animals and lizards, and really focus on the musculature, ligaments and bones. These kinds of things get stored in your brain, which you ought to treat like a visual hard-drive, and the more you study something, the more you can recreate it. The same goes for drawing the boring bits, you know, those still lifes no one REALLY likes doing. Thing is, when you paint a still life, the information regarding light and shadow, as well as form and composition, gets loaded into that same visual harddrive I mentioned earlier. I'm not saying completely ditch drawing the fun stuff. No, because then its not fun to draw if all you do is study. Just add some studies to your daily routine. My suggestions would be to look at hyenas, german shepherds, dogs to get an idea how they move, run, etc. That will inform you about this piece. Go to reddit's gore section to look at how skin flays off the body (sucks, but...reference is god).

I apologize if it seems like I went off on a tangent.
I like the idea, otherwise I wouldn't have spilled my schpiel.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes ok, I think you are definitely right with studies, ive been told time and time again i need to do colour, light etc studies, so I really need to crack on with those.
I will have a look at some hyenas and dog limbs for sure, thanks for the idea.
Yeah, its a bit annoying really because I know i really need to get on with studies but I'm on a game project at the moment that I have to keep going (doing this zombie and an environment which I will post), so its getting a bit tight for time for studies. Will start doing references when I do these things, have incorporated that into my environment one.
Ewwww..... skin flayiiing.... ew. heh cheers, will have a look for sure.
Thanks very much for the comment, will see what i can do! :)

(01-30-2013, 12:24 AM)Markdotea Wrote: Well I'm gonna comment the character design itself, I won't talk about the technique and style, cuz that's a matter of personal taste!
So let's begin, I feel that your concept is very nice, but I feel the the face seems to be disconnected to the body, the face lines should also come somehow in the rest of the body! About the legs, I'm a bit concerced how legs look like, they look like a pan's leg, but it's working as a dog leg, the bone coming out is also a lil awkward I'd study different placement. I also don't get why there are some horns in his back, I means he has boneSpikes where there shouldn't be and where there could be there are lil needle looking horns, it's something to be thought.
Your concept is great, it's just lacking some refinement! Go ahead, take more time to think about the things going on and how they help your character to comunicate, don't put add stuff just cause they look nice!!
I hope my comment was useful!

Thanks :) yeah you are right there, I really need to start detailing the rest of the body and try to work some lines in there too, I want a kind of withered and decaying look.
Ok, i have heard from a lot of people the legs are crummy so I will admit defeat there and do some studies and try to replicate dog legs in a way.
Right, so the spines are a no-no, got it, will see what I can do wit hthe bones- perhaps i will just have the joint and the tendons ripping out the flesh a little rather than a horn because you are right- horns make no sense.
I think I will have some vertebrae instead where the spines are.
Will see what I can do, thanks very much you've been invaluable!
Cheers :)
actually somewhere around the area of those spikes are the hip bones, so you could make something with them. And the leg spikes are where the heel is, so I don't think they make any sense. I'd say look at dog anatomy so you can work with actual bones, elongate them or have them sticking out.