Weekly Visual Library Building - 6: Victorian Era Clothing
Visual Library Building 6: Victorian Era Clothing

Completely covered females, uncomfortable looking dresses, top hats, canes and frilly neck things. Thats what a google image search tells me Victorian era clothing is all about.

Something a little different this week, work on some character design library building. Victorian clothing is probably one of the most visually unique types of clothing out there, and one of the most common used for different artistic styles. Steampunk is the first thing that comes to mind, which definitely roots all of its design in the victorian style aesthetic. So what better style to do for the first clothing based Weekly Visual Library thingy (really need an interesting name for this, repeating that over and over is getting tedious)

So this week, I really don't have that much advice for what to look for in clothing, since I have never done it and well.. my fashion sense isn't one of my strong points.. So this week, when you do the drawings, could you also say what it is you looked for while you were doing these. Did you compare them to your own clothes, the underwire to the designs of popular bird cages, etc.

[Image: 1839.jpg]

[Image: Women%20in%20dresses.gif]

This is what happens when you wear a corset too much.. Kind of messed up.. Wonder if when they get hungry their chest rumbles....
[Image: fashion_corset_body1.jpg]

Like a sir.
[Image: VictorianMensClothing_7.gif]

---

And the boring stuff I will include with every post so that new comers don't have to go searching:
- Each week I will come up with a topic, it can be anything from boots to machinery.
- Find some images to study, but don't just copy them, maybe do some technical drawings, take written notes (I'm not asking you to write an essay, just things worth noting), some specific detail and generally just get a better idea about a topic.
- I think I'm going to put a new one up each Monday (NB: My time, Sunday for the western world.)
- It's not a competition, its really just about sharing knowledge, one person may pick up an interesting detail or a keen observation than another person may have missed. Just building the number of visual cues that can be extrapolated to design something interesting and new when necessary.
- One last thing, the drawings do NOT have to be pretty finished renderings. A quick sketch of a building façade with details marked and notes will have just as much use as a beautifully rendered copy of a photograph. The point is the content and thought behind it, not how well you can render.

nice topic. Looking forward to this. Hopefully get more done this time round :)

Great topic xD I will maybe try more drapery ehem... dresses studies at the weekend :)
[Image: tumblr_moco97zfbX1rw215do1_1280.png]

I have so much work but couldn't resist to draw them Insane, ecstatic as a break from drawing (insane)
[Image: tumblr_mogacrtaKj1rw215do2_r1_1280.png]

I want to paint some, too! D: Looks great!

For costume reference, I like these pages:
http://fashion-era.com/
http://www.osfcostumerentals.org/stock/index.html

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
Man totally dropped the ball this week, definitely didnt do enough
[Image: 130617-9.jpg]

Lyraina: Those sites are great! Totally bookmarked both. I used this one here: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/gentlemans.php

Madzia: those look fantastic. Totally gave me the inspiration for this weeks VLB thing ;)

This looks like fun :)
I feel bad for missing other challenges that were made here before, but I'll jump in from this one and try to keep on going : D
Great idea Jake :D

CD dA FM  MaL
wow everyone did a great job

Maz: Those are amazing!

everyone else, sweet designs :)
Victoria dress are really good to see when women wear, But they have some side effect too as you shown in the picture but any way's no one women now where this type of cloths but you have incredible pic collection of victoria dress.
selim can alkoç

selim can alkoç

selim can alkoç

selim can alkoç
I'm far from interested in the puffy dresses so I thought I'd be clever and study uniforms and the working class of Victorian Era instead. What I found out is while the uniform has some interesting point to look at, it isn't immediately unique to the Victorian Era. The attire of the common folks are even less unique to the style. They may be more black-sooth stains due to the rise of steam power and industrial revolution, but that was all I gathered. The most distinctive features of the Victorian Era attire seem to be limited to the elite upper classes. I'm also slow no matter what so only a few drawings after about 3, 4 hours. I don't think I'm doing this right in terms of "studies"...?

Focus.