Weekly VLB - 9: Japanese Fashion (Traditional)
Visual Library Building 9: (Traditional) Japanese Fashion

Following on from the Japanese trend, I'm thinking we can do some traditional Japanese clothing, the reason why traditional is in brackets is because if you want to do modern Japanese fashion, go for it. Totally up to you, I know some of the modern stuff is crazy and one day I will probably make it a topic, but with the list of available topics it may be a while.
So if you want to do modern stuff do that, otherwise traditional is going to be the focus. So long as you are drawing, I'm not complaining :)

Also, if anyone wanted to start making suggestions as to what else to do, I will add them to my list and they will be subject to the very rigorous test of picking what ever I feel like Monday morning to do for the week :)

[Image: traditional-clothing.jpg]

[Image: dzn_MON-Factory-House-by-EASTERN-Design-Office-18.jpg]

[Image: furisode3.jpg]
--

And the boring stuff I will include with every post so that new comers don't have to go searching:
- Each week I will come up with a topic, it can be anything from boots to machinery.
- Find some images to study, but don't just copy them, maybe do some technical drawings, take written notes (I'm not asking you to write an essay, just things worth noting), some specific detail and generally just get a better idea about a topic.
- I think I'm going to put a new one up each Monday (NB: My time, Sunday for the western world.)
- It's not a competition, its really just about sharing knowledge, one person may pick up an interesting detail or a keen observation than another person may have missed. Just building the number of visual cues that can be extrapolated to design something interesting and new when necessary.
- One last thing, the drawings do NOT have to be pretty finished renderings. A quick sketch of a building façade with details marked and notes will have just as much use as a beautifully rendered copy of a photograph. The point is the content and thought behind it, not how well you can render.

well this is all kinds of awesome. ill try to do something this week :)

My post does not do the great topic justice, but I really struggled to structure the information this time.. but anyway, here are some bits and pieces I found interesting :) There is so much information in every detail/symbol!

Here is a pinterest for some japanese clothing inspiration:
http://pinterest.com/hongkonger/japan-tr...nal-dress/

A few suggestions for topics, although most of them need some changes so it is not too broad or narrow as a weekly topic (you're better with that than I am :P):

- Machinery / machine parts (maybe a bit more specific)
- Weapons of history and/or today
- Transportation (Flying, Ships, ...)
- Different kinds of vegetation, maybe in relation to their environments (i.e succulents, but that's a bit too specific to stand alone), or geographic region
- More animals or animal groups of interest, i.e. insects, birds, reptiles
- More culture/region related things
- For character studies, something into the direction of ethnic diversity, body types, anything that forces us to step away from our standard could help

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
Mannnnnnnnnn, wish I could have done this one, I've been lazy, havent updated this for two weeks. So sorry @_@

Thanks Lyraina :) those suggestions are awesome, I'm adding them to the list as we speak and its inspired this weeks one <3

Japan began to emulate Western fashion during the middle of the 19th century. At present, there are many styles of dress in Japan, created from a mix of both local and foreign labels.