Henrik Rosenborg sketchbook
Hey guys, so i guess it's about time to get started here. This piece started out as a anatomy study and ended up as a wicked old lady or something. I realized i'm really bad at dramatic poses and facial expressions. It just looks so dead... Practice practice.

http://djingo.deviantart.com/art/anatomy...-386181010
Seems like i'm pulling a all nighter, kept going with female anatomy.. Rendered this one abit aswell. Maybe i should stop that?

http://djingo.deviantart.com/art/anatomy...1374113162
For some anatomy practice. I'd suggest doing the class mode. Great daily study :D

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-t...e-drawing/

Keep it up!

(07-18-2013, 12:08 PM)HenrikRosenborg Wrote: Seems like i'm pulling a all nighter, kept going with female anatomy.. Rendered this one abit aswell. Maybe i should stop that?

http://djingo.deviantart.com/art/anatomy...1374113162

Thanks a lot really valuable!

Sat up last night again, didn't go to bed until 06:30 in the morning. The late hours tend to be my most creative ones, but i'm not happy with the results of this night :P

Attached Files Image(s)

So i've spent this summer working on a project with a friend. He's been writing a new setting for a roleplay so i've been tasked with brainstorming and handling the graphical parts of it. I figured i'd post some of them here, some older and some i'm currently working on.

This is a paladin of sorts, a person the "gods" of this world has decided to invest in;

A inhabitant of the land called "Pandaemon" (The land of eternal rain);

The following is some drawings i made for our concept document that you can find here: http://circean-wanderer.tumblr.com/

Attached Files Image(s)

Been doing a selfportrait a day for some time and we've recently started following different themes, yesterdays theme was "Cyborgindians". I thought this was really cool so i sat morepart of the day concepting and i got to this 7 in the morning;
http://djingo.deviantart.com/art/The-tri...-388633776
Sat up last night again sketching on this ogrelike creature, oh well here it is ;

A variety of self-portraits i've been doing recently using different themes for each one of them. Been a lot of fun and i'll continue doing this, have fun people!

Attached Files Image(s)

Did some hybrids, a Red panda and a croc. Croc is still a WIP though, might finish it later! Take care peeps.

Hey Henrik!
Nice hybrids you got there, I particularly like the panda one, if I were you though I'd tone down that background a little bit. It's very bright now! And it feels like it's disturbing the details a bit and the highlights float in with it.

Do you usually paint over black and white sketches? Because your colors are cold and going towards the desaturated direction! You could probably do some color-only sketches and play around with that. I feel that it usually helps me atleast. I guess an example would be some of your selfportraits where the background share the same colortemperature as you! That one with the orange background is dominating over you. So a tip would be to tone down that hue so that your face appears to be more warm.

But I think it's good to see that you're doing diffrent expression in your portraits. I hardly ever do that damnit!

Hey Bjulvar, thanks for dropping in!

Yeah i totaly get what you mean with the backgrounds, i just love bright colors but sometimes they control me, hehe. I've been trying to work out a process where i set the values in grayscale and then use a color layer over. It's hard to get any interesting colors out of that technique, if you can give me any tip on that i'd be more than greatfull. I mean i have been doing only colors in periods aswell, but i am a lot better with values in grayscale so that's what i keep doing it now.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for dropping some crits. That's why i came here after all so i'm gonna keep on working with that and try to get some good results!
Yeah man that's why we're all here!
I understand that you like it and you shouldn't abandon it. But it's nice if you control it instead of it controlling you! Can't say that I've found a good way either. But if you're using a color-layer you should make sure that the color you pick has the same value as the one in your painting. You can always duplicate layers and get more variety in color. Sometimes it's fun to just drop in whatever color you can find and see if you get something interesting. You can always press Ctrl+U to bring up the hue and saturation and switch it around.
The thing I usually do is using soft light layers to block in my colors. Then I make another layer where I put down light and imply more form. Isn't the best way but it worked for me.
Trying to paint under lineart now, but finding the transition to not have lines hard :D

Indeed i gotta get in control :P Aah soft light i should try that out, i haven't explored the layer options to much actually. And yeah i have been working with lineart at times aswell and getting out of your comfort zone is always a challenge but i think you'll learn a lot from doing it to be honest. I mean sometimes i just do the character/landscape whatever with a big brush and sort of scult out the details with smaller brushes and sometimes i prefer the lines. YOu don't have to lock yourself with one technique right? Do whatever feels best at the time.

Been doing some studies with faces basicly ;O It's a mixture of stuff, hopefully i've learned something out of it. Personal favorite; The babymech!

Some sweet stuff in here dude, the hybrids, and that ogre guy are pretty awesome. Just try and think about the form of what you're painting all the time. Keep thinking about the planes of the object, and the direction of the lightsource. Try and think about that each time you change the value of an area - should it be darker? Lighter? Softer? Harder? Really consider each change in form. You don't have to paint slower, or really go crazy about it, just make sure you're actually thinking about it, and not just randomly painting lol (I'm guilty of that sometimes :P )
Apart from that, just keep doing what you're doing, studying the stuff that you're struggling with, and applying it from imagination. Looking good dude, keep it coming :).

Thanks for dropping in Jake and thanks for the amazing tips i'll definetly take them with me on my journey! And i know exactly what you mean about randomly painting xD Good luck to you to man!
So i've been drawing a lot as usual, i've come to realize that i suck at rendering. I tried to realy render the excavation until below same goes with the female, futuristic gunsligerish? I still find it hard to add colors and be pleased with the result. Throwing in two doodles i made of some kind of weird character aswell :P