Sci-Fi Character opinions needed!
Hi guy's
This is a concept i've been working on and i'm planning on doing several versions like the one on the right (but better). But im not realy sure about the design... it's supposed to become a portfolio piece.

[Image: VGdG1Y6.jpg]

It is the first time i'm trying to do a character concept, and also the best painting i've made so far. So i thought the design was ok. until some guy i know came by and shit all over it...
I was hoping someone who knows what he/she is talking about could give an opinion.

(Please dont take the right one into account, its an example of what i sort of was planning.)
Hey!
Cool ideas behind this for sure, but there are a few things that jump out at me a bit, so heres my humble opinion:
The first thing that hits me is the spaulder on our right. It looks way oversized and very cumbersome, and it isnt clear how the arm fits into it- it just seems to blend.
It also goes behind the leg which looks a bit weird, as you end up asking yourself how far back it is.
Have a look at this: http://halowiki.net/images/b/bb/Security...nfobox.jpg
I think thats the kind of look you were going for?
I'd recommend getting rid of the third block down on our right (next to the elbow), and downscaling the rest a bit. I really like the oversized juggernaut feel to this guy, but the armour has to be practical as well- you try walking around in steel moon-boots the size of your head! I downscaled those a bit too.
My paintover really sucks but i hope you get the gist of what i was trying to say.
Also the helmet seemed a bit too tall for my liking- maybe its just a personal artistic view but i just scribbled down a quick suggestion of the kinda path i'd take it. I also changed the arm so that its doing something other than hanging awkwardly- always try to nail the pose and anatomy before you start rendering (as I am told myself!).

Anyway- those are my thoughts though I'd take them with a pinch of salt seeing as I'm not exactly a fantastic artist myself. I really look forward to seeing where you take this! All the best,
Wardy.

ps. dont feel bad about getting 'shit' from mates about your art- if it constructive crit then thank them for it, if its just bitching then its not worth listening ;)

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-21-2013, 10:59 PM)Ward217 Wrote: Hey!
Cool ideas behind this for sure, but there are a few things that jump out at me a bit, so heres my humble opinion:
The first thing that hits me is the spaulder on our right. It looks way oversized and very cumbersome, and it isnt clear how the arm fits into it- it just seems to blend.
It also goes behind the leg which looks a bit weird, as you end up asking yourself how far back it is.
Have a look at this: http://halowiki.net/images/b/bb/Security...nfobox.jpg
I think thats the kind of look you were going for?
I'd recommend getting rid of the third block down on our right (next to the elbow), and downscaling the rest a bit. I really like the oversized juggernaut feel to this guy, but the armour has to be practical as well- you try walking around in steel moon-boots the size of your head! I downscaled those a bit too.
My paintover really sucks but i hope you get the gist of what i was trying to say.
Also the helmet seemed a bit too tall for my liking- maybe its just a personal artistic view but i just scribbled down a quick suggestion of the kinda path i'd take it. I also changed the arm so that its doing something other than hanging awkwardly- always try to nail the pose and anatomy before you start rendering (as I am told myself!).

Anyway- those are my thoughts though I'd take them with a pinch of salt seeing as I'm not exactly a fantastic artist myself. I really look forward to seeing where you take this! All the best,
Wardy.

ps. dont feel bad about getting 'shit' from mates about your art- if it constructive crit then thank them for it, if its just bitching then its not worth listening ;)

Hey! Thanks a lot!
This helps so much!
No worries, looking forward to progress :D