bloodports #3 Nausicaa jake gumbleton
I joined up here after watching some of the live stream videos. Really enjoyed the 'critters' stuff! This bloodsports challenge was too exciting to miss so I thought I would join in!

Limiting my time for this to my lunchtimes at work as i am portfolio-ing with the rest of my time.

I made some composition sketches and then picked this one which I think I am going with.
C&C appreciated!

Am thinking of changing the ohmu arrangement so that the one at the centre is smaller and is flanked by two larger closer ones on either side.

[Image: nausicaa_lunch2.jpg]
Looks pretty good so far. My only suggestion is to maybe make part of the composition look slightly less deliberate. I'm thinking especially with the planes encircling her head - since they're in the sky, maybe seeing more of the underside of them would look good
I'm getting a very 1950's(ish)/art-deco design from this, great work so far man!
Thanks guys. I made a few compositional tweaks. Got my tonal arrangement and composition set now.
I have continued with this in my lunchtimes. Here is where I am at after 5 45 min sessions.
[Image: nausicaa_lunch5.jpg]

If it goes well over the next 5 i might take a bit of time at the weekend to finish it off.
I have not done much painting yet. Will add colour next and then start the paint proper.
Crits welcomed!
Cheers
Jake
ahh man she looks beautiful, nice work
It's a lovely composition. Good choice to add a dark frame. It gave more depth to Your piece.I look forward to seeing colored version. Don't disappoint me!

Good luck!
Loving the style. Got high hopes for this one!

Ørjan Svendsen
Website - Facebook - Deviantart
I like the black frame too! feels cave ish !

"When we first meet people we see shallows, there after fathoms"
Website
Livestream
Blog
Cheers guys.
Here is another couple of lunchimes progress:
[Image: nausicaa_lunch7_wip.jpg]
[Image: nausicaa_lunch7_wip_lines.jpg]
more progress:
[Image: nausicaa_lunch9_wip.jpg]
This is looking pretty cool, I like the colour scheme!

At the moment I'd recommend working on her face, you for sure should think about the expression, particularly the eyes, they should be "saying" something to the viewer. She is a complex character with much emotion going on and at the moment it's not really being conveyed to us.

Also I'm not sure it's necessary to have her in the background as well? Maybe one of the baddies in front of the death robot thing to counterbalance master Yupa - and have him standing in front of the windmills and such, could be more interesting. Anyway food for thought. It's looking cool so far!