Help with perspective/foreshortening
I'm planning on putting this piece I'm working on in my portfolio.

Something seems kinda off in the chest and head area (circled with light blue). Didn't notice it until I started painting the drawing. Also, the back ground seems kinda boring; should I add something?

Attached Files Image(s)

You succeeded in making his collar thing look dimensional (though it doesn't look symmetrical), but his head and neck look flat.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
(08-15-2013, 12:12 PM)Psychotime Wrote: You succeeded in making his collar thing look dimensional (though it doesn't look symmetrical), but his head and neck look flat.

Just the collar thingy? how about the rest of the armor?

I understand the neck looking flat, but the head?
You haven't rendered the rest of the armor, so I can't say anything about that.

Now that I look at it again, where is the tail coming from? It looks more like it's coming from his crotch than where a tail actually comes from. I think it's the shape of his groin that gives that impression, but it can also just be that you haven't rendered the planes yet. I can see what you might be intending and there's no problem if my assumption is correct, but again it's not rendered, so I can't give a definite comment on it.

And yes, the head looks flat. I'm not seeing a convincing three-dimensional shape.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

(08-15-2013, 01:05 PM)Psychotime Wrote: You haven't rendered the rest of the armor, so I can't say anything about that.

Now that I look at it again, where is the tail coming from? It looks more like it's coming from his crotch than where a tail actually comes from. I think it's the shape of his groin that gives that impression, but it can also just be that you haven't rendered the planes yet. I can see what you might be intending and there's no problem if my assumption is correct, but again it's not rendered, so I can't give a definite comment on it.

And yes, the head looks flat. I'm not seeing a convincing three-dimensional shape.

Should I add more shading to the head?
Have you planned out an exact direction for your light source? I think you should redraw it, and really take note of the general shapes of the forms. And instead of rendering part by part as you're doing now, you should cover general areas over the entire image first, before getting to details later.

I think you should have a simple light setup of the whole image, using no more than 3 values. Make it on a separate layer to modify as you please later. Be as basic as possible. Then post it here.

If you ask me, jumping to full detail for small isolated areas is an easy way to end up with something inconsistent in the end. Having every basic concept roughed out over the whole image is a good way to have a general game plan and stops potential headaches right in their tracks.

Clearly you did a rough drawing to plan your general shapes and forms, but the logic behind that should persist through every step. I don't think it's time to jump into details just yet. Plan with some rough lighting.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

(08-15-2013, 02:04 PM)Psychotime Wrote: Have you planned out an exact direction for your light source? I think you should redraw it, and really take note of the general shapes of the forms. And instead of rendering part by part as you're doing now, you should cover general areas over the entire image first, before getting to details later.

I think you should have a simple light setup of the whole image, using no more than 3 values. Make it on a separate layer to modify as you please later. Be as basic as possible. Then post it here.

If you ask me, jumping to full detail for small isolated areas is an easy way to end up with something inconsistent in the end. Having every basic concept roughed out over the whole image is a good way to have a general game plan and stops potential headaches right in their tracks.

Clearly you did a rough drawing to plan your general shapes and forms, but the logic behind that should persist through every step. I don't think it's time to jump into details just yet. Plan with some rough lighting.

I was thinking of redrawing the head and the neck but the whole thing? By redraw it do you mean redesign it or choose another pose, or what?

I wanted to make the light source coming from the side kinda and hitting the front of his body.
Oh, no. I was just talking about the head. The pose or position of the head doesn't need to change, I just think you need to note the basic shapes the head is composed of.

(08-16-2013, 04:33 AM)Aikanaro Wrote: I wanted to make the light source coming from the side kinda and hitting the front of his body.

Good. Rough that out on a new layer. Nothing complicated, just something to really ground what you're thinking of doing.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!