No soft comments
Hey guys, I try to improve harder and harder. Now I did a smaller step forward concerning color. Now I just love to get forward instead of staying at my level. Here are few of my latest doodles and paints. Enjoy, but please bring them down in a positive way, not just like 'those are just crappy' ;)

Thanks daggers! :D

info: the drone (or how u call it) paint and autumn paint are normals and the sewer and jungle scout paints are speedpaints

Attached Files Image(s)

I love the pallets you chose and those compositions don't look bad in general, though you should watch your values a little more, also, don't let your textures kill your contrast. I'm sure your works had more contrast before you added the textures. Lastly, remember: Foreground, middleground, background. You did it well in that second pic.
Now, if the first ones are speedpaintings, then awesome. If they are not, you could spend a little more time with each part of the foliage, rocks, etc.
That last one looks great, BTW.

(11-12-2013, 12:21 AM)Rognoll Wrote: I love the pallets you chose and those compositions don't look bad in general, though you should watch your values a little more, also, don't let your textures kill your contrast. I'm sure your works had more contrast before you added the textures. Lastly, remember: Foreground, middleground, background. You did it well, in that second pic.
Now, if the first ones are speedpaintings, then, awesome. If they are not, you could spend a littel more time with each part of the folliage, rocks, etc.
That last one looks awesome, BTW.

Thank you, the autumn paint isn't a speedpaint, it did take some time since I didn't want to add photo textures in it for once. The second and third are speedpaints and the last one started as one, but I did finish it. Anyway I will keep in mind to watch more carefully adding textures and not overkill it. Also, will look more about form, light and composition. It's the basics I'm troubling with often. Thankyou for the great feedback

Try not to overuse textured brushes, they give the illusion of having details, but can easily kill them. Also mind your color intensity - there is a DVD which is super helpful IMO, Jeremy Vickery - Practical Light and Color... nice stuff regardless! :)

(11-12-2013, 01:27 AM)Kaffer Wrote: Try not to overuse textured brushes, they give the illusion of having details, but can easily kill them. Also mind your color intensity - there is a DVD which is super helpful IMO, Jeremy Vickery - Practical Light and Color... nice stuff regardless! :)

thank you Kaffer, where can I find the DVD? Is there a blog or something from him where I can find it?

So here a bit of critique i can offer :)

The values are all over the place, except for in the last one where you have a clearly defined background, something you should get used to early on is not using black anymore or make sure that it doe not show anymore in the final image.

When it comes to composition you should keep the rules of thirds in mind.
All the images are quite exhausting for the eye, I have no clue where to look first and what is the point of intrest. The extreme use of textured and special brushes isn't helping in that regard either.
The crimsondagger videos on youtube and the ones from fzd school always get into composition a great lot.

Study from reallife, why does your water always seem to be illuminated, why is the tree thicker on top than on the bottom and what's up with those leafs. Everything makes a rushed impression, which is the point of speedpaintings, i know. but sometimes it is worth taking time to do the studies first and then practice it under time constraints.

Greetings and have a nice day
Celarx
Everyone has already said the main points so quickly, I'd suggest actually not using ANY texture brushes for a couple of months if not longer, while you work on your fundamentals. Texture brushes are really useful for implied detail but they won't help if your fundamentals aren't solid. I think the last one is the most successful in terms of composition, values and texture density so you're heading in the right direction there.

Speed paints are a great way to get into the habit of doing some art every day. I used to do them quite a bit when first starting, and you do learn a fair bit by doing them, but definitely start adding studies and work on fundamentals as well. These will go further in helping your development. Good luck!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
thank you guys very much. I recently joined a study groupe with weekly topics and will also do few more studies for myself!

I know the FZD vids, but I didn't know there were also dagger vids :o I definately gonna look them up!
Back to the basics and less or like monkeybread says no more texture brushes for while :)

Thank you for the great feedback! It's also nice to know that atleast getting in the right direction