Moody landscape
Rainbow 
Hey guys, long time no post so i thought I'd whack this on.
Would love any advice on how to make this scene have a bit more impact, i may add some fog around the bottome of the mountain.
The concept is a fortress built into a mountain, which is connected to the structure on the right (not 100% what its doing there apart from being a nice perspective marker! ideas?).
Sorry this is vague, its one of those late night doodles that evolved, so no pre planning etc, i just liked the pallette and winged it.
I want to give it a moody, epic feel to it, almost a cinematic feel.
Its pretty much only rouged out at this stage, hence why the ground is so messy and nothing is clearly defined.
Anyway, any help would be awesome, love y'all.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, nice start to an enviro.
As a first point, until I read your description I didn't really notice there was a fortress there at all. It's still kinda hard to make out exactly whats fortress and whats mountain. So I would alter the temp/value a bit for that.
Also you have some nice contrast in the river leading the eye towards the VP, but reward us with something for following the river, put something out there that points back to the fortress and it will really help the composition.
Another composition point is that you could use where the light is breaking through and illuminating the upper part of that slope to make a graphic shape that points back to the fortress, maybe increase the chroma on the slope so it reads a bit faster.
Also some people would help pull in the viewer aswell, and help with the lack of story maybe.
Good palette though, some nice colour combinations and good mood.

yeh exactly, i feel like im lacking a real focal point here, the gates should be it but they blend so much into the mountain. im trying to boost the value and saturation on them but it looks unnatural with the overcast light, any tips?
Yep, the slopes are too blurry atm and dont look very solid, will fix that thanks, great ideas with leading the eye!
Will be adding a dude on the bottom left, sorry should have included him but hes very rough atm.
Will also add a little something at the focal point, will see what i can come up with!
Awesome crit man, really, will work on those for sure.
Have a good'un!
(12-07-2013, 08:44 PM)Ward217 Wrote: Hey guys, long time no post so i thought I'd whack this on.
Would love any advice on how to make this scene have a bit more impact, i may add some fog around the bottome of the mountain.
The concept is a fortress built into a mountain, which is connected to the structure on the right (not 100% what its doing there apart from being a nice perspective marker! ideas?).
Sorry this is vague, its one of those late night doodles that evolved, so no pre planning etc, i just liked the pallette and winged it.
I want to give it a moody, epic feel to it, almost a cinematic feel.
Its pretty much only rouged out at this stage, hence why the ground is so messy and nothing is clearly defined.
Anyway, any help would be awesome, love y'all.

If you want impact, try changing the whole perspective of the composition. Right now it is very horizontal in a lot of ways, and that gives a calm, stable, tranquil feeling to the piece, especially when the stuff portrayed in there are also calm, stable stuff - plants, buildings. The point of view is also very sturdily low on the ground. Try have more diagonal lines, or a strange viewing angle, or have the image open up to a vista, or have a cloud-scape that's dynamic (brilliant color, storm-approaching, bad weather in general).

Focus.
God its really interesting how leaving a piece for a while can change your perspective- when i was working on this in the evening i was really happy with it, looking at it now i hate it to bits.
Its completely static! plus the bridge just makes a really awkward composition, the clouds are not exactly dramatic and the value range is horrific on the rock part.
I'm going to take roughly the same pallette but make a completely new scene, doing some thumbnails and then making a proper painting out of it.
Will post here, thanks meat, much appreciated :)