Poll: How should I computer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mac Pro
50.00%
1 50.00%
iMac
0%
0 0%
Something Else
50.00%
1 50.00%
The construct of an abacus held in my minds eye
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results | Edit poll ]

Creative Professional Grade Computer
Hi Daggers!

I recently began a Masters Program in Design and Illustration and my current Macbook Pro just isn't cutting it. I've had it for a while so that's no surprise, but even with some extra RAM it is crashing when I try to do digital painting at high resolutions. So I am in the market for a new computer and I could really use your suggestions. I have been using apple computer for a long time, and while I respect that there are many viable PCs for creative work I'd rather not change horses at this exact moment in my life.

I am intrigued by the recently announced Mac Pro (the one that looks kind of like a trash can) It is super duper expensive, but I have some money from my graduate school loans set aside just to buy a new computer. I'm willing to bite the bullet and shell out for something nice that will last me and get the job done but I am wondering if I am kidding myself with thinking I need all that power. Anyone have a 2013 iMac? Is that working for you? Does digital painting, design, and/or possibly some light 3D modeling push up against the computers limits ever? Is it a stupid idea to spend so much money on a computer or is it a stupid idea not to while I have the opportunity. I kind of feel like I am talking myself down from a cliff.

Thoughts?
First of all i dont know much about computer but i would recommend you to look for the ''standard'' resolution(that pro use).This should help you set the bar around what kind of cpu you need.Also the choose of a pc is really case sensitive because of what you plan to do with it.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Inkwood,

I think its going to come down to what your budget is.
I have:

2012 macbook pro, 15 inch, Mid 2012
2.3GHz Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3

and so far its great for my art needs.
In most cases, the better your hard rive speed, memory, and cpu the better your photoshop experience.
If you want an iMac specifically, i say go with the

27inch
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M with 1GB video memory
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac?p...tep=config

And go here to upgrade your memory, which is cheaper than buying it through apple.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iM...2_27/DDR3L

The Other World Computing guys have some cool stuff for Apple products, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

What are your specs on your current macbook pro? Cause maybe you just need more ram or a better hard drive. Yet, if its really old, and you have the grad money any way…

Best of luck in your decision making, I know how difficult it is to spend so much money at once.

Do what you love... otherwise what's the point? Insane, ecstatic

dA