character - critique welcome
So I'm painting a couple of characters and environments for my final year project. Wondering if I could get any feedback on this character? He's supposed to be an agent working for the catholic church during the black death. Tracking down witches and smashing them up, that kind of stuff.

Thanks.

[Image: DByg738.jpg]
Nothing about him says "Agent of the Catholic church" to me.

On another note, he's obviously an assassin, but I would think that being part of the church would mean that they'd want him to at least look approachable to medieval churchgoers. Would townsfolk really want this guy anywhere near their town?

Even if there's witches going around killing people or whatever, this guy doesn't look like he'll make the situation any better.

And this is completely independent of whether he's a hero or villain. Regardless of what he's supposed to be, his job already means there's things to think about with his design.

Honestly, I'd have a easier time buying the complete opposite job. He looks more like a lackey that gatherers blood sacrifices for a powerful witch.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Thanks. He's supposed to be a bit like the church's gestapo style agent, so pretty brutal and thuggish. And not considered a good thing to have around by citizens. I will definitely incorporate some more catholic symbols into the character, thanks for the feedback :)
I think it looks ace, only critique/ suggestion is that his trapezius looks a bit big making him look a bit hunchbacked, unless it's intentional maybe lower/tilt the shoulder armor a bit down.

(01-16-2014, 05:37 PM)Peppermint Butler Wrote: I think it looks ace, only critique/ suggestion is that his trapezius looks a bit big making him look a bit hunchbacked, unless it's intentional maybe lower/tilt the shoulder armor a bit down.

Thanks, and you're right, lowering the shoulder armor a bit helped quite a bit :)
How accurate to you want his design to be to his back story? As already mentioned above, his design doesn't make any connection to having any relationship with the church. Also his costume look more modern than 14th century. Those spikes on arm guard look especially modern. Also having taken a quick look around the Internet, it seems during the 14th century they have much higher boots (going above the knee), as well as tighter pants pants. Another thing to consider is looking for some visual characteristics that defines weapons of 14th century, which will help him look more unique from other fantasy genre assassins. Try to always have a specific reason behind the look of everything on him.

Focus.