The Unholy Three - Character Designs
I haven't posted here in a while, so I might as well.

Some explanation, these are intended to be minor villains for a webcomic I'm in the process of making. The concept is a "shonen" comic using a 1930's cartoon backdrop. With many references or allusions to 1930's pop culture (film, music, radio, cartoons) and Shonen Jump, baring the occasional odd anachronistic allusion (like these characters).

A group of tenants of an apartment building get targeted by a mob boss after a botched robbery by the associates of one person. Only one starts off being a target, but the rest involve themselves and make the situation worse than it started.

When I say "shonen", think stuff along the lines of Dragonball and One Piece, though not nearly as outlandish. But it IS still outlandish.

Anyway, the Unholy Three (named after Lon Cheney Sr's final film), were made to expand the villain group, and they were added to mostly be joke villains along the lines of the recurring villains from Yatterman. Their design inspiration actually comes from the Emerson Lake and Palmer song, "Tarkus".

In reference to the movie they're named after, the three are ex-circus performers turned thugs, though on the lower level of the food chain as far as the other villains are concerned. Stronger than the typical goons, but no match for the heroes. They're supporting characters, but I still want to make sure I give them decent designs.

Margaret (named after Margaret Mitchell) references Iconoclast (3rd movement of Tarkus). The level-headed self-serving materialistic leader. Trained acrobat.

O'Brien (named after Pat O'Brien) references Mass (4th movement, the best part, by the way). The soft-spoken eccentric obsessed with archaic language. Skilled in knife throwing, juggling, and sleight of hand.

Robinson (named after Edward G. Robinson) just references Tarkus itself, no particular movement. The prideful slightly uncouth and shortsighted "human" cannonball.

[Image: tumblr_mzmkwcxcKJ1s6dh1ho1_1280.jpg]

For an idea of the other characters they interact with, I'll post this old lineup.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Wow! It is way more complex than what you see at first glance! I was wondering when I first saw them on your sketchbook why they had their names in hiragana below.

As I've said before, I love your cartoons, so can't offer you any critique, but I can't wait to see that webcomic!

I like it a lot, but the armadillo's tail looks like it's growing out of his foot! I'd like to see sequential art of them.

(01-23-2014, 12:55 PM)ChantalFournier Wrote: I'd like to see sequential art of them.

Err...I did a rough storyboard sample involving them before this drawing. Though it's out of context and just characters talking. Nothing really happens in the scene, to be honest.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr