3 point perspective problem
Hey guys,

just a quick one: is this correct?

I wanted to construct a cuboid in 3 point perspective, but it looks so much like a trapezoid, that I am confused.

Where are the eyes of the viewer in this picture? Are the below the 3rd VP?

I think what I did was constructing a cuboid and the viewer stands a bit right of it.

What do you guys think, I would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
Flo

Attached Files Image(s)

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
Well, if you were looking for a 3 point perspective prism, you got it. If you were looking for a cube (with exact measurements) it's gonna take a little more work.

I recommend David Chelsea's books. The guy helped me a ton.
And remember your eyes are always in the horizon, no exception.

You basically drew the cube waaaaaaaay out of the cone of vision.
it's a cube, and you have 3 points, so in a math point of vue, the drawing is right. It looks worng because you draw the cube as if it was shot with a camera having a fish-eye lense.

There was a priceless massive black video on perspective which explained this, unfortunately you can't find them anymore, (at least throw legal sales, ahem...)
Fortunately, Scott Robertson edited a very good book on that subject: "how to draw", wich I higly recommend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkG5HN4bgY
Sorry for the commercial ad part of my post, I don't get paid to do the ad of that book :)
(Seriously, it's very good, some of the best bucks I've ever spent on a drawing book.)

As rognoll said the horizon is your eye level. I also think the main issue is the vanishing points are too close together, they're all on the page if they were off the page you would begin to lose the distortion.

3'rd vanishing point is to close..you got a very exaggerated perspective, put it farther away from the horizon.. 2 or 3 times more of what you have already.. experiment with it..
...you will always get the distortion, because the viewer is looking up at it..