Jaetryn's Sketchbook.. yeah.
Heart 
Hey guys, trying this self teaching thing with art. I'm from Maryland, near the DC area. Any feedback is always appreciated. Will be updating this thread every week with studies/sketches and finished pieces. Thanks. Insane, ecstatic

[Image: Untitled-2_zps3b29e6dd.png][Image: Untitled-1_zpsda5f6905.png][Image: Untitled-4_zps64051af0.png]

First update! Some studies from the week. I've been working on a person piece lately.. and honestly i have so much trouble with them. My understanding of composition, color and perspective are all pretty lacking so i think i'll work on those next week.

[Image: torsostudystretch_zpsa595bb39.png]
[Image: runningmanvaluestudy_zps0adf3197.png]
[Image: figureconstructionstudy_zps0bfc88a0.png]
[Image: stilllife_zpsca95edd1.png]

Any feedback is always appreciated. <3

Sorry for the lack of updates. :s Here is some recent stuff.

[Image: af8c2edd-739a-4a45-aa9b-a012d22497ce_zpsf32122a2.png]
[Image: 5e7b3a18-345b-481e-b322-debbdb5ef992_zps7c2ae12c.png]
[Image: 8aad2b9f-9566-4122-9e9f-72f6e66939f3_zps879d4472.png]
[Image: 88b2a86e-c1f7-481c-ad3c-12a8b6bbafbf_zps587a0565.png]
[Image: 512e6278-58fa-4984-bef3-cc8c4f6c651c_zps84a35139.png]

I'm pretty terrible when it comes to backgrounds and landscape stuff. Will probably have to do a bunch of drills on that and get away from portrait stuff which i'm really used to. (As finished pieces, anyway. The two on this post were quick studies.) Learn better color theory, compositional skills and get better with my rendering in general.

Gonna try to get some pencil scans on here soon.

It's been a while. A lot of soul searching later, here are studies.

[Image: JaTXNh0.png]
[Image: 0EXdlnI.jpg]

Great sb man, really good values, anatomy and gesture. Edge control and brushwork is also improving quite notably. Kinda curious to see more portrait studies, I bet they're gonna be pretty nice. Keep up the good work mate.

SB
(08-30-2014, 07:34 PM)Suira Wrote: Great sb man, really good values, anatomy and gesture. Edge control and brushwork is also improving quite notably. Kinda curious to see more portrait studies, I bet they're gonna be pretty nice. Keep up the good work mate.

Thanks man! I actually did a self portrait about a month ago, gonna include it in this next update i'm about to post.

Studied back anatomy this week. That and just practicing values with a bust study and some exercises.

I really really really need to get this one character design i'm working on done. Hopefully i can wrap it up this week and put it on here. I'm strugglin.

[Image: eDyAxTD.png]
[Image: zhNDXbM.png]
[Image: KhYjHEZ.png]
[Image: MMJU34y.png]
[Image: 5eAjl6j.png]
[Image: m63Jut3.png]
[Image: sSIDyqf.jpg]
[Image: KzQVCSn.png]

Damn, that portrait value study is really DOPE man! Regarding your figure swtudies just rememer that the area that's giving you trouble becomes harder to tackle the less you simplify it, so just keep hammering it till you find a shape and a dynamic that allows you to understand it comfortably.

Only creat would be the spheres sorrounding the light source. They're not reacting to the light in a consistent way. I think it's because you left perspective out of the mix in that one. If it was a top down view then all of them would look the same. In perspective the pattern would change, but there's a mix of this and that so it's unclear what you're going for.

Still, nice stuff, keep it up! :)

SB
Oops, said i'd include my self portrait but never did in the last post LOL.

Also, here's some stuff from the week. Worked on legs, but i might just put up the sketchbook studies at the end of the upcoming week. Its sunday night 9 Pm and im tired already haha. here are some studies and portfolio pieces im working on this month. ill post the wips as the weeks go on.

[Image: dMZCBlx.jpg]
[Image: VATIPb9.jpg]
[Image: 1i6pldY.jpg]
[Image: gs5muTp.jpg]
[Image: kRmPrFM.jpg]
[Image: qWU5Unx.jpg]
[Image: NXaqDTq.jpg]
[Image: KkU7zcG.jpg]
[Image: JdRESos.jpg]

Buuuuuuuut yah, this week was interesting. I def didn't put in a much work as i did yesterday, which kinda bummed me out. The past 2 weeks had me feeling pretty good about the amount of time i put into drawing and painting but not so much this one. I feel less engaged about the work i'm doing and i feel it's partly because of the material i decided to engage myself in. For example, the value study of the one master piece i put up in incomplete. And i left it like that because i decided i'd be better off not finishing it. Why? Mostly because i felt like i wasn't getting much out of it by just straight up copying. Sure, i could keep working on it and deliberately think about values while painting but i've been doing so many value practice that i felt like i needed to let things digest and work on another fundamental aspect of painting.

TLDR. Effective learning happens much more easily when you're engaged into what you're doing so it's a really good thing to switch up topics to keep yourself interested in what you're learning. Instead of value study after value study after value study etc etc.

I'm very excited to keep working and make this next week better though. Cheers.

(09-06-2014, 02:03 AM)Suira Wrote: Damn, that portrait value study is really DOPE man! Regarding your figure swtudies just rememer that the area that's giving you trouble becomes harder to tackle the less you simplify it, so just keep hammering it till you find a shape and a dynamic that allows you to understand it comfortably.

Only creat would be the spheres sorrounding the light source. They're not reacting to the light in a consistent way. I think it's because you left perspective out of the mix in that one. If it was a top down view then all of them would look the same. In perspective the pattern would change, but there's a mix of this and that so it's unclear what you're going for.

Still, nice stuff, keep it up! :)

Thanks! Yeah i like to think of form as shapes in perspective when im trying to learn something like anatomy. Michael Hampton's stuff and Loomis def help.

Yeah, i watched it off a Sycra video on basic lighting form and stuff. I think the light source is in the middle of the top and bottom sphere in space. So the top sphere would be farther away and reflect light that we can see. The light source in the middle, and bottom sphere closest to us in space so it's good rim light practice. Idk, something still might be technically off. Ah well.