Character critique please
Any advice will help.

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks like you need to work on your construction, as some parts look very flat, as if you are still thinking in outlines, particularly the hands.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
(03-13-2014, 12:37 AM)Psychotime Wrote: It looks like you need to work on your construction, as some parts look very flat, as if you are still thinking in outlines, particularly the hands.

What you mean construction? Like volumes?
Yes. The more I look at the character the more it appears that you're just drawing outlines, when you should be thinking about the basic forms that make up the body.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

(03-13-2014, 06:01 AM)Psychotime Wrote: Yes. The more I look at the character the more it appears that you're just drawing outlines, when you should be thinking about the basic forms that make up the body.

Hows this?

Attached Files Image(s)

It' neither stylized character or anatomically correct one. Can you say anything more what is your goal?

(03-13-2014, 06:09 PM)Madzia Wrote: It' neither stylized character or anatomically correct one. Can you say anything more what is your goal?

I guess my goal is to stylized my character.. idk it feels to plain for me.
Also improving anatomy.
(03-14-2014, 06:57 AM)Jarvis Wrote: I guess my goal is to stylized my character.. idk it feels to plain for me.
Also improving anatomy.

Try to cut yourself off the manga in a meaning - don't draw all small lines around eyes or mouth that you don't understand why they are where they are. Learn anatomy - that is crucial. Just looking at the neck, the lines from chins should go to the breastbone. Cloth wrinkles have to fit to the body shape. On your drawing they look totally random. Less is more - that is true especially with stylized styles. I think good idea would be saving some money and buy yourself a book with basics like this one http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Character...084&sr=1-1 I have it, it's fun and interesting and can learn you a lot.

(03-14-2014, 09:17 AM)Madzia Wrote:
(03-14-2014, 06:57 AM)Jarvis Wrote: I guess my goal is to stylized my character.. idk it feels to plain for me.
Also improving anatomy.

Try to cut yourself off the manga in a meaning - don't draw all small lines around eyes or mouth that you don't understand why they are where they are. Learn anatomy - that is crucial. Just looking at the neck, the lines from chins should go to the breastbone. Cloth wrinkles have to fit to the body shape. On your drawing they look totally random. Less is more - that is true especially with stylized styles. I think good idea would be saving some money and buy yourself a book with basics like this one http://www.amazon.com/Creating-Character...084&sr=1-1 I have it, it's fun and interesting and can learn you a lot.

Thank you for advice! I can totally see my mistakes of the clothes and anatomy. Ill definitely check out that book! Idk if i can cut myself away from drawing manga, especially since I want to be either a manga artist or work in an anime studio.
I think she means to observe real form and anatomy and for now don't try to imitate manga and anime without having a good grasp of what it's actually doing.

Once you get a good grasp of the real thing, you will be able to stylize it well. This applies to pretty much all representational art.

As it is now, you're trying to stylize without really knowing what you're doing.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!