lets talk about milestones
hey guys getting back into the stride of drawing again , but suddenly my wrist started feeling tingling sensations after an hour.

ive wondered what you guys think about youre own milestones, ive been drawing seriously for a year now , avg at least 2 hours a day since 2013 of june .
while i think i have improved since then. i tried comparing my older sketchbooks to my current ones and i certainly have seen a huge difference.
my lines are more confident . i am able to copy drawings faster while maintaining likeness. also understanding perspective gave my drawings the 3d look.

but then again . something in me wants to know if i couldve done better. so when was the time you guys begin to notice significant improvement? and what was it ?

I think it's atypical to just wake up one day and really notice that you're better than you were last time you thought about it.

At least for me, I'll look back at a drawing from years ago and think "Wow, I used to think that looked good?" Until then I won't notice much outside of things I may have learned recently that I started applying.

It's the main reason why I number and date my sketchbooks. It's a gradual process.

I think the only big changes you'll notice with yourself will be early on when you start having a basic grasp of fundamentals. You'll see the difference because you'll have a better thinking process and approach to your drawings.

Past that point you won't be getting too many big epiphanies that'll wildly increase the quality of your work and it'll just be mostly mileage, learning bit by bit.

I can be completely wrong, though.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
agreed with psychotime. The only thing that would have made you improve more would be to draw longer each day, its all in how much you do it : ) and how much you learn from doing it.
Definitely all about the time you put into it. Studying art is like trying to swim against the flow. If at any time you just stop, you'll be pushed back and all the progress you made will begin to get away from you. But if you push on, work as much as you can and for as long as you can then you'll start to get somewhere. So if you have 3, 4, 5 or who knows how many free hours in the day, you should be drawing during those hours.

Going over your old work is a good way to spot your weaknesses, especially if you see begin to see those old elements in your new work. Pick out those mistakes, study them and apply what you learned. Drawing a lot is one thing, but drawing mistakes over and over again creates bad habits and often makes it harder to spot those things down the line.

The tingling thing with your hand could be from a number of things, like the position you're drawing in could have your hand in an unnatural position or even disputing the blood flow a little. Could also be that you're grasping your pencil/ pen/ stylus too hard. Ooor perhaps you could be drawing with your wrist/ hand too much and not enough with your shoulder and elbow.

Keep working hard and build good habits :)

I have a slightly different perspective. I've been doing the serious art thing for 2.5 years now. First year I did about 2 hours a day on average. Second year I did at least 4 to 6, on top of working a full time day job. Very bad idea as I didn't sleep. Anyway, to this day and since the first I notice improvements with each (non study) painting. My level of satisfaction with each one completely changes, but I always make sure I make note of one thing I did really well or at least better than before and the main things I could improve with each painting.

The most valuable lessons I would like to impart is this:
  1. don't bother looking back for indicators of improvement. it doesnt matter how much or how fast you've improved, or whether you could have done better. All that matters is your continued desire to improve. if you're in it for the long run you will improve no matter what, but not focusing on it you will cause yourself less stress. The past is past, leave it there, though granted it can be highly amusing to view stuff from 2 or more years ago :)
  2. just go at a sustainable pace and find a good balance, and don't kill yourself with overwork. This is so key, I wish someone had told me before I went stoopid. Actually a professional mentor did but even hearing that I didn't listen until I learned that lesson myself ! Lol people are retarded aren't they? We always have to learn the hard way.
In terms of milestones, I noticed that skill level ups came when something to do with fundamentals consolidated in my brain, and I was able to apply everything I already knew theoretically, but didn't know by putting into practice effectively. Level ups often came after doing a course or workshop, and being forced out of my comfort zone by others and struggling through the challenge. I am still experiencing noticeable improvements over the short term, though in one instance it was 6 months inbetween anything noticeable to me.

I also think what can't be discounted and I believe are more important, are the philosophical milestones you reach. Biggest examples for me personaly were :
  1. remembering to have fun, or why the fuck are you bothering to do it
  2. endless study for the sake of it is pointless past a certain stage.
  3. time spent is important, but irrelevant if you don't have an efficient focus and balance. This is the key
  4. life is to be lived....art will always be there when you get back, linked to next item..
  5. art depends entirely on your experiences. If you are a master renderer but have absolutely nothing interesting to say with your vision then attach a lens cap to your face with a rubberband and start calling yourself Nikon..and ummm why are you bothering again?
  6. my doing art is not about getting a specific job, it's about a personal fulfillment first and foremost.
But I suppose superficially, getting things like a DD on dA, getting my first paid freelance gig, being approached by clients for the first time, all these things are great once they start coming :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Like MB said, I wouldn't be too concerned about milestones. One day, you'll just notice "Hey, that drawing came out rather nice this time!" and that'll be a milestone.

I also wouldn't be counting hours and days unless you're going to do it like Sheriff Van the tax collector for a Greedy Prince John (Disney's Robinhood). The more the better, like eating your favorite snack, just keep thinking that, and never let the word "enough" enters your mind.

Warning: Depressing fact sharing starts here. End reading now!

There was a time when I did notice drawing improvement. That was way back when I was a student, drawing everywhere and every spare moment (on bus and waiting for class to start), and everyday without weekend or "day off". It was my way of being different and venting my teenage thing. That was probably at least 6hr/day, 7day/week, 52 weeks/yr until I finished high school. That was the time when I remember noticing improvements here and there. Now, I just notice de-improvement and rust from all the lack of maintenance on my hard-earned skills from back then.

Focus.
It is wonderful discussion. Keep it continue........
Smiling generally starts around a month; Giggling/Laughing can soon follow.

Many babies don't begin to crawl until 6 months or later.