CRIMSON ARENA 2-Leading Ladies WIP
CRIMSON ARENA:Leading Ladies- GUEST JUDGE: ANNA STEINBAUER

UPDATE: WATCH THE JUDGING STREAM HERE

[Image: 7cb1785da00f33f6c5d36c7325326d07.png]

Hello everyone and welcome to the second Crimson Arena. This challenge is meant to push you to the limit and out of your comfort zone and make you produce a kick ass concept that goes straight to the top of your portfolio.

This months challenge is the Leading Ladies challenge. Your job is to Design a strong female character concept based on one of the descrptions below.

Design a futuristic female rebel leader. She leads a group of underground special forces in an attempt to take down a corrupt government in her time. She is tough as nails, but also quick witted and not one to shoot first and ask questions later. She has a level head during intense situations. Portray her in not just a somewhat close future, we want to see 500-1000 years in the future, really get creative with the design.

Design a fantasy female leader. She is a Queen of Stormhaven. She is known as a charming diplomat and a cunning stategist that leads by example, from the front line. She emits a godlike aura that makes her subjects worship her as a deity. She wears a uniquely crafted and iconic armor. we want to see you capture her epic armor design.

We are emphasizing CHARACTER and DESIGN and remember, no bikini mail no exagerated boob plate armor and no skimpy leather outfits.

This is a character concept challenge and not an illustration. We want a fully rendered out design from head to toe so no crazy perspectives or stiff standing still poses, try to keep the pose interesting.
EXAMPLE.
[Image: e281cee01bb23997840f6ee5b773c9e9.jpg]

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Must design a strong female character

Must not contain bikini mail, exagerated boob plate armor or skimpy leather outfits

Must have a face that matches the description and her pose should not be feminine/sexual

Must include Studies (thumbnail sketches, poses, material,...etc) done for the piece to be eligible to enter.

This month's guest judge is the Amazing Anna Steinbauer AKA "Depingo" who will look at your work and offer feedback to the winners of the Challenge.

[Image: 03efc2775ea20f7903a1884587a6fdb1.jpg]

DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, APRIL 18th

My Sketchbook

I shall live forever or die trying.
Hey guys, I've compiled some reference/inspiration of what we'd like to see and some stuff that is the exact opposite of what we'd like to see (Nothing against the artists, gotta make dat money).

What we DO want to see:

[Image: ca3cb0e40b1c27416044ec8a4d958fb8.png]

What we DON'T want to see:

[Image: 07380162684c66aed9ccf13417e915ef.png]

I'm assuming we choose one or the other but to make it clear, do we have to choose one or the other or do both designs?

you guys are doing a great job keeping me busy and motivated :D this challenge theme is awesome, i too will assume that we have to choose one of the two, in that case i will probably go for the first.
Also, its funny to see that the 90% percent of the "we dont want to see" is applybot stuff haha.

Yes. you have to choose one of them. :)

My Sketchbook

Sounds awesome, I gotta ask though, where do we post our final pieces, on this thread? And what are the rules on the study's, should they be included in the final image file? Or as separate files?

Soo... let me start off with a little study. I started this a while ago but kinda forgot about it and got reminded by the "Strong Female" theme. I plan to do a middle aged woman (futuristic rebel leader) and who is tougher looking than Cersei/Lena Headey? I didn't nail the reference picture but I focused more on the characteristic features anyway. More tough women to come!

Can you add more specification of the format how it suppose to look like?
"This is a character concept challenge and not an illustration." - so only full body visible, from only one side, without fancy perspective? All references are commercial illustration... should it be more about polishing or idea?

i hope the update clears things up guys :)

My Sketchbook

Forrest, who did that one with the red hair, on your top series of examples (third one along)? It looks rather cool.

(04-05-2014, 05:49 AM)Craig Paton Wrote: Forrest, who did that one with the red hair, on your top series of examples (third one along)? It looks rather cool.

It's conceptart from Witcher game made by Maniaks http://www.maniakart.com/ :)

Update on the strong ladies, did these two over the weekend.

Cmon people where's the energy!? Let's paint some women!

[Image: 3295a1effefff37db5f26bdc11c977dd.png]

[Image: a9fb60b7d4c616c3eab8de5331e1a6a6.png]

[Image: 1b14310e7cc5d4eccfe75da389f9fa08.png]

OK. Diving in! :)

@Forrest: Lookin awesome man, I'd give her a freaking mace and a shield or a big two hander.
@ Phil: daaaayuuum. wish I thought of that :))

Think I went abit overboard with my study. :P

great stuff guys! *gotta keep up*

Hi guys!

Really awesome work and studies, this is my first challenge so I don´t know If this is the correct way to present it, but this is how I make my studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Xaero: Looks good to me, just keep posting up those progress shots :)

Decided I might jump in on this one and try and juggle it while redoing the bloodsports in the other thread.

This is what I have so far. Did a few thumbnails for the sci fi one too, but nothing stood out. I'm leaning towards the first two. Pretty much 50/50 atm.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fun challenge. Did not had time for the sons of zeus one, so will try to do this one, even if 18th is kinda short deadline, (with other stuff to do on the side, I mean!) X-smile
(Too bad that it's "only" a chara design challenge, seems that the obligation of having standing poses kind of limiting, but it's the name of the game, and I will try anyway Toothless )

So many awesome designs here. O.o

Attached Files Image(s)