Hi, WIP need some critique
Hey, been working on this piece this week. It's still in early stages, just wanted to get some feedback about the comp and maybe the flying creature. The colour is a bit under saturated but that's because my monitor saturates reds and oranges quite a lot, I'll fix it later on. thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

The piece is really looking nice!

I would work the composition some. The lower left hand corner has allot of dead space, try shrinking the horse and rider a little, keep them on the right lower third intersecting lines (using the rule of thirds of course), add some background for scale reference then enlarge the beast and get his upper body on the top left intersecting lines. The dust will really help you direct the eye.

I would love to see what you come up with:)

Hi, finished this at last would love some general feedback. Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

I actually really like this one. I like particularly the usage of contrast and how it is reserved for the focal points as well as the realistic style and blank, predatory expression of the creature. The only thing I would say is that if the rider is ahead of the creature distance wise, it is semi hard to tell at the angle the monster is shown. Perhaps instead of the creature being completely horizontal at 9 O'clock, he could be at a diagonal 7 O'clock?

If the monster is intended to be laterally beside the rider, then it may be better to have the rider's head twisted to face the creature rather than straight forward. Just my thoughts anyway XD.

Overall, very well done!
compositionally im wondering if it would be better snaking from behind the horse (but pushed back a lot with atmos. pers.), and coming round in an arc to face the rider a bit further top right? It would give the eye a nice swooping motion which would help with the rhythm of the piece, and also pull direct forcus to the rider first, and then the dragon second, setting up a focal hierarchy (At the moment our focus is really divided i feel)
nice piece btw! could do a really rough paintover if you'd like?

Train, gain, or stay the same.
Deviantart
Sketchberk
Yeah, or even just snaking up behind the rider with a huge gaping mouth. I don't even get a predatory feel from this animal, and the rider doesn't look aware of it. Apart from the wings, the dragon is so round, almost kind of friendly looking.

Also, the rider: is he holding onto reigns or anything? If he's going fast, he should be. And he shouldn't be sitting bolt upright. Look at how jockeys sit on race horses when they're going all out. If he's riding like this, he would really be fumbling with that gun. And, if he's afraid, he should be looking over his shoulder, I think.

That said, I really like the concept and feel of the piece. The values and colors are working well. Good work!

Sketchbook  :::  Site