Bloodsport 6 Reborn - Monster Hunter Challenge!
BLOODSPORT 6 - Monster Hunter Challenge!

Created by: Dave Rapoza

Requirements:

- Must create a HUNTER influenced by a real culture from our world but you gotta alter it to fit yours. Must be equipped with anything that makes sense for hunting your monster(can be based on the culture you studied as well)

- HUNTER MUST BE IN 3/4 VIEW, MUST SHOW FRONT AND BACK OF DESIGN. FULL COLOR

- MUST create a MONSTER based on real world creatures but altered to fit your fantasy/scifi/or whatever else universe. MUST show full color concept of monster and a side view(can be sketch for side view) explaining whatever info is lost in the initial concept.

- MUST create alternate design of the HUNTER after he has slain the MONSTER and fashioned the MONSTER's design into his own - this can be anything from the monster but should be fashioned to hunter in such a way that it still works with his initial culture.

Aspects to consider for the design of hunter from the monster -
bones, claws, scales, fangs, fur, carapace, tails, feathers, etc.

EVERYTHING ON THE MONSTER CAN BE CONSIDERED A RESOURCE

- Studies must be provided and must be relevant to the character design and elements used in the illustration. POSE AND DESIGN SKETCHES are also REQUIRED with studies in order to be eligible!

*THESE DO NOT HAVE TO BE EXACTLY LIKE MONSTER HUNTER, THAT IS NOT THE CHALLENGE. THE IDEA WAS SIMPLY INSPIRED BY IT.

"Deadline": Monday, June 16th

Inspiration:
[Image: 05bcdafd95f2e127096e60d3cc95f9d0.jpg?v=218700]
[Image: HunterArmor-HiResConcept.jpg]
[Image: DiabloXBM.png]
[Image: DragonS-Gunner.png]

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
This should be fun.. I thoroughly enjoyed these games :D

This got me thinking and I came up with 2 concepts.
First one is a glitch type universe(particles flying, aberrations, abstract patterns, phisical laws are irrational etc)
Second one is post apocalyptic nuclear war, where the hunter is a malformed creature that hunts for other beings, absorbs their DNA and then mutates himself to become stronger.

I know this doesnt exacly fit in with some rules, but I figured I'd participate anyway.

Did some pose studies and got to brainstorming character silhouettes. Then went over the monster. I think the post apocalyptic theme is currently stronger.

Good to see you join, cracked! Also, cool ideas. I personally don't mind if the rules are bent a bit, because in the end it's just for practice and possibly a portfolio piece anyway. The monsters are cool, look a bit like macro pictures of mites and such. Could be hard to implement that into a advanced hunter design though, unless you do it with the overall shape and body language of the creature.

I had a bit of a tough start, brainstorming from tribe girl with sea shells over golden snakelike monster combined with tan skin .. but eventually ended up with some kind of urban kraken/lizard stuff :P

Worked on colors and decided to go for #3, although I like #2 as well

Started on the monster:

This is what I have as of now. BTW, thanks so much for reviving the challenge, I haven't had so much fun in ages, mosnter hunter is the real reason why I started painting, monsters, weapons, a different works, armors...

[Image: FAeQFbv.png]

ps: wait for it to resize if it looks too big.

Always a pleasure to look at all the great entries of these challenges.

cracked: I like the hunter with the pipes going in and out of him. If he's absorbing whatever he hunts down, in a post apocalyptic dystopia, maybe more irregularities to him (not so mirrored) would help push the point of him being a chimera.

Lyraina: all them designs look really cool! Since the monster is some kind of reptile... would she have a reptile skin clutch as prize too? :D

Gliger: Awesome designs! Is that monster on a tree branch? It looks like it's monkey size, whereas the sword looks like it's the size of Zweihänder, so kind of not fitting.

Focus.
Kinda finished? FULL SIZE http://i.imgur.com/nJ7LmfI.png

[Image: nJ7LmfI.png]

Thanks meat ;)

It's actually a long katana, the monster hunter kind. Now I don't know if you mean that the size is unfitting to fight him, or to use it's parts to create it so here it goes.

I though it was kinda silly to create a weapon with the animal's parts specifically to kill him, like, it should be the other way around, you know, you create a water weapon to fight a fire monster, not fire against fire (although I didn't make a weapon to kill the specific creature, just the one made from him), in my case at least; because I chose to create a monster hunter-like armor and weapon ;).

Yep he's on a tree. In monster hunter as you probably know, you need to hunt the same monster countless times to get enough materials, that's why the ammount of horns/fur/spikes needed doesn't really matter.

Gliger, thanks for participating :) I love how you even added an actual fighting scene!

meat, I was playing with the idea of reptile skin, but disregarded it because I thought it would get too much stuffed in the design. But since you mentioned it I removed the bracelet and added a mild version of reptile skin and kind of like it now. (Not sure about the face)

Here's update on mine, trying a new approach (using photo textures - probably too many!). I will probably not be able to finish in time, because I'll go on vacation soon.

Aha, it COMPLETELY slipped my mind the entire past week to update in the thread. No idea why.

Everyones is looking good. Gliger - That monster is looking really professional. On another level. Good work.

And great work as always Lyra xP

Mine is kind of getting there. I think I need to change up some scale elements, just for what I want to do with it. Might need to get another study in as well, but this time was a 'use the photobomb technique'

Attached Files Image(s)

FINISHED ENTRY

[Image: monster_hunter_by_gliger-d7m77ij.png]

Totally on the same page with you Meat.

Here the progress so far. Yeah gonna miss that deadline because my wrist is broken again.

Better late than never, finished up this one:

Awesome lyraina, I really like some of the rendering for the advanced design.
As a tip, I guess you wanted to get it done fast, but, maybe you could check some of arvalis' livestreams to see how he draws scales, he has some good techniques without adding photos.

Gliger, will check that out, thank you! Also just saw that he has a skillshare class, good thing my membership there is still running for a month :D

I joined his class some months ago, it's a good class, he gets into using reference correctly, doing scales, andd bascially his average process to come up with a design and an illustration, I think my unfinished project is still there somewhere haha

Well then, finished a "bit" late, but here it is.