Rookie's Journey to... who knows where?
Thought I would start a beginner's sketchbook here. I started one over at concept art, but stumbled upon this site and thought the community might be a better place to learn from.

I'm an absolute beginner in terms of drawing. I did do some design in University, having done an engineering degree, but it was mostly isometric drawing and poorly attempted. I've always wanted to learn how to draw, but shied away from it because I didn't think I had any 'talent'. I've got a new perspective now though, and figured I would give it my best shot.

My goal is to eventually do some charcoal portraits, as I love the shading / value work in those pieces. I also enjoy landscape sketching.

I've begun working from the Loomis books 'Fun with a Pencil' and 'Figure Drawing for All It's Worth', and I'm trying to do at least 2 hours of practice every day. If anyone has any suggestions on stuff to work on, books or techniques to read up on, or just general ideas on better methods to practice, I would love to hear them.

I've attached what I've been working on the last couple of days.

Looking forward to it!

Hey there, good to see some Loomis studies, but don't be afraid to expand out of that even if you don't feel ready yet. I personally didnt really find Loomis helpful to be honest but lots of others did. It'll probably be a good stepping stone but its not the end all! I think you should do studies from life (friends family etc) alongside Loomis to really get the most out of it.

Also when you get to the rest of the human body, I personally liked going through Burne Hogarthes books. Very exaggerated forms but theres a lot of interesting tips in there

About your ellipses. They look pretty good for now, but watch out for those "pinched" ends. Ellipses always have rounded ends. Always. No matter how small they are. If you want to improve your draftsmanship, at least as far as ellipses and straight lines are concerned, check out this video and maybe try out the exercises in it as warmup before you draw. Same idea with straight lines ( use your arm and rotate the paper)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZmwHU7vZo

Id also recommend checking out that book if youre interested in perspective

Good luck and cant wait to see where you go from where

PS, out of curiosity what didnt you like about CA.org? Ive never used it so Im just wondering what made you come here vs stay there