Sketchbook de Charles
Here are three projects I worked on in the beginning of the year. I wanted to work on emotions with the boy's face, then I wanted to work on coloring and shading with the girl (based on the album art of Maybe Trapped Mostly Troubled), and the last one is some knight's armor I was trying to design (the pose was based on a picture from google).

Here is something more recent. I worked for a few hours working on my eye techniques, but I don't know really how to tell if what I'm doing is right or wrong, but I think by the end of this exercise I was pretty well adjusted to drawing the eye shape. Something I'll have to keep working on.

Attached Files Image(s)

And a sketch of an orphanage that took a few hours. This is just me trying to get the mundane look of the world in my video game. Next I'm going to design a city block.

I'm not so great at perspective, lighting, or architecture at the moment, so this is a great exercise I think.

Attached Files Image(s)

Don't try to rush to digital it only slow you down go for the fundamental first.Here some tips on what you can start to work on.Perspective,gesture and anatomy work on this for a few week each then mix them together.Draw on paper if you can.Use a scanner or a camera to archieve the progress.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(08-07-2014, 12:01 AM)darktiste Wrote: Don't try to rush to digital it only slow you down go for the fundamental first.Here some tips on what you can start to work on.Perspective,gesture and anatomy work on this for a few week each then mix them together.Draw on paper if you can.Use a scanner or a camera to archieve the progress.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up some pencils and drawing paper from the store so I can draw traditionally. Something I don't really understand though is how to do a study. I tried to do a color and value study, but it didn't turn out to really teach me anything.

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library here something to start you up.

The important part really is to draw and to try to understand what work and what is wrong but for that you need to surround yourself with people who know what there talking about.

I still don't even know how to properly teach myself but i am always looking for new way to teach myself.

You once said to me ''I'm actually trying to start designing a video game right now'' but for that you need more basic but a interesting way to learn is to make a personal project that you can evolve overtime so you could start to design some concept you might have and with that you will start to have a logical path of thing that you want to fix until you are happy with the result then move on to a other project.

A other path could be to teach yourself with repetition by being topic orientated.
Example you see that you have problem with realism so you challenge yourself to work on that.
second exemple you want to be able to draw hand so you draw as many as you can.

I think that you should strongly read this http://lateralaction.com/articles/learn-to-draw/

But what really matter is that you need to adapt to your need.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Your best tip would indeed be drawing from life, and after a model, or set-up stuff.. I strongly suggest to go to any kind of drawing teacher or study group. It's way more easier to make progress with nailed-in fundamentals, than jumping in without them and un-learning your false innervations and re-learning proper fundamentals, believe me, I've been there :)
Also, with starting little or more simple things, you will be able to gain momentum from tiny successes!
Ctrlpaint does have shitloads of useful stuff, and awesomely explain the basic stuff.
If you have problems with studies, keep one thing in mind: the purpose of a study is to LEARN somerthing, eg. if you like the value variations of a painting, do a study with that thing in mind, and try to show that from the piece - don't just mindlessly copy!
Another example: if you like a pose of a character, just extract the pose with a simple line-drawing - don't get into values, color, etc.
It's also a good tip to do a schedule for yourself, like x hours of study everyday, x hours of own ideas etc. Also keep it easy to follow - start easy and progress with small steps. And most importantly: KEEP AT IT even if you are feeling down, feel unmotivated.. as the saying goes, 80% of success is just being there :)