Which composition is better? Hospital Death Scene
Hey guys,

I am having a dilemma. A bunch of people liked the one with the small monitor best, but I really want the monitor to be big. These are sketches.

Which one do you think is better in terms of composition?

I want the focus to be on the monitor, because the point of this scene is that, now that the doctor has killed herself, we see the girl on the bed come back to life. (And we can tell by the lines on the monitor, which are no longer flat-lining..)

Attached Files Image(s)

I think you should start over and map out your perspective.

Hiya! Hiya! Hiya!

Sketchbook | Deviantart | Tumblr
Yeah I am almost thinking that too. BIG LESSON LEARNED!!! Do mini compositional sketches BEFORE drawing the picture! haha.
The reason why small monitor is preferred is probably that it doesn't shove an obvious point in our faces, and sometimes subtle detail is better than shoving things in the audience's face. If you want it big, then make it mostly out of frame, at an extreme angle, and possibly out of focus as well, so only the end bits of the line that "bleep" is visible.

The big monitor one also seem very flat and looks like an avant garde magazine illustration that's flat color and no shadow. The small monitor one has better lighting.

Focus.
Aahh, ok. Yeah, the lighting was just that I got a little carried away with the sketch with the little monitor.

Thanks meat!! :D

(08-22-2014, 07:21 PM)meat Wrote: The reason why small monitor is preferred is probably that it doesn't shove an obvious point in our faces, and sometimes subtle detail is better than shoving things in the audience's face. If you want it big, then make it mostly out of frame, at an extreme angle, and possibly out of focus as well, so only the end bits of the line that "bleep" is visible.

The big monitor one also seem very flat and looks like an avant garde magazine illustration that's flat color and no shadow. The small monitor one has better lighting.