Seeking crits and or overpaint
Hey guys,

Seeking crits for this one, the goal is to create a scene of a futuristic nighclub exterior.
I want to improve it but can figure out what to add.
any ideas?

[Image: VWuGcDG.png]
Heya just some quick bullet points as I eat. Feel free to ask if you need more detail or clarification on any point!

- I think you need to start grunging up the place a little. I don't necessarily mean just dirt but perhaps also textural detail and differences to distinguish surfaces, so not everything is a stock matte finish.

-The silhouetted people are fine and add context, but are really bland. Maybe start to play with fashion, more interesting poses and silhouettes. At the moment this feels a bit like an architectural visualisation where the people are stock photos plopped on to look like "normal" people. Go a bit wilder on their design to inflect some character into this location. Are there aliens or augmented types or is it strictly bio-humans?

- What might also help ascertain character about the location in general is to ask yourself questions and answer them in the drawing. Is it seedy? up-market? a club district? On a space station or on a planet? Is it underwater? Is there advertising in this place? How would it be delivered, what would it be pushing? Who are the service class, are they alien migrants or replaced by robots? While these questions may not be reflected directly in the painting it might help you add some elements of interest or design that may not be otherwise apparent. At the moment it vibes like a stock standard 'futuristic' club in a shopping mall...kinda dull.

I think in general helping you flesh out the story behind this location may help you flesh out some more unique bits of interest to add. And of course, check out Syd Mead's stuff. He knows how to design a funky place, but also populate it with people, things and life. That's the magic bit.

Oh and a quick technical tip is to cut out individual lights or banks of lights, signage from photographs and layer them into your lit areas on a lighten or screen layer, and adjust the layer's contrast so it fits the right values. Even though it seems minor, adding this small level of photo detail in lighting really adds to the impression of realism, life and vitality that you don't get with just painting and dodging lights. Give it a go!

Hope it helps

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta