Tan's Art Journey
Hey, my name's Tyshawn, and here are current drawings and sketches as of today. Much like my sb at ConceptArt, I'm gonna make an effort to post my daily drawings. Of course, you'll see the same drawings there, but you won't have to see my ugly-as-sin 2011-2012 sketches here.

Here is my morning drawing, my roommate's Protoman helmet, rendered in pencil.

And here are some perspective sketches I did while I was outside. At first, I wasn't sure on how to draw the bottom of the buildings, but in the second and third sketches, I noticed that the eye level was much lower than I had originally thought, which made things easier.

Welcome!

Great studies so far! Grin Let's see some moar!

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Sorry I haven't posted in days. This time, I'll try to update consistently.

First up, a drawing of Tony Jaa I did yesterday, from a photo. I wanted to upload this then, but I fell into the trap of comparing myself to other artists.

Next, I wanted to be a little honest and show my current skill. I can only draw anime from my head.

And now, light studies from this morning.

Don't let comparison to other artists discourage you-- Use it as fuel, to do something constructive, and to grow. We all have a long way to go, but being an artist is a lifelong journey, and it's not something you ever stop growing from. Keep up the great work, and keep on studying and working hard everyday. Grin 088

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
@Bookend

Thank you for the inspiring words. This kind of happens to me often, and it makes me hate my own work for not being like theirs. On the flip side, every time I do look at someone's art, it makes me want to draw. It motivates me and makes me jealous at the same time.

On the way to work, I drew this guy on the bus. I really hate drawing on the bus sometimes because Buffalo's roads aren't well-paved.

After work, I decided to head to the mall to draw some mannequins. However, I did not expect the mall to be so crowded. I should've, since Christmas is right around the corner. So, I only got two drawings of one mannequin. I now realize I should utilize the whole page.

Lastly, another bus drawing. Like the mall, the bus was crowded. Was gonna draw on the train, but I was tired and headed straight home.

Was gonna do some anatomy studies today, but I thought I should do some gestures and basic figure studies using posemaniacs. Personally. I don't really like this style of designing a gesture drawing.

Happy New Year, everyone! Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I should've been. I was caught up in thinking about what should I practice, as I tend to rush my artistic development in favor of drawing cartoons. So I was thinking about getting down the basics of perspective, light, composition, and basic figure drawing by the end of this year. Is that unrealistic? I hope not, since that's the only art-related goal I could come up with.

Anyway, since New Year's, I've been practicing perspective, but I'll post studies from today and last night.

This is a part of my kitchen. I was feeling completely unsatisfied with it. I'm glad I didn't throw it away, though.

I kinda learned to lightly place the diagonals and the horizon line. Source photo: http://hyfishmanfursbbw.com/living-room

Source: http://www.home-designing.com/2010/10/mo...oms-spaces

This was the first thing I drew when I woke up this morning. To be completely honest, I didn't really knock this out in one go, same goes for the others. This was my second attempt.

Full kitchen.

Living room from the opposite corner.

These were studies from one corner in my kitchen. Second one was from memory. Fourth one was done while sitting. Fifth study is my room, and the sixth was from imagination.
I've really gotta start posting here some more. I mean, it's just that I have no idea on how should I go about studying. Do I study one thing at a time or everything at once? I don't know, because I find myself switching from perspective, to light, to form. I guess I should do a still life to see where I am...

Oh well. Here's what I've been up since last night.

Hi Tan-Sau,

You're doing great. I especially like the figure studies. In previous post you asked how one goes about studying. First of you need to ingrain what is studying for. James Gurney in one of the interviews stated: "In art, a study is a drawing, sketch or painting done in preparation for a finished piece, or as visual notes." I would recommend first doing a personal artwork as far as you can and then when you are stuck, look for reference of things you are not sure how to draw/paint. After you find said reference, study the exact thing you don't understand in the study.

For example you have painted a dude with an armour, but you don't know how to the armour reflects light, so you find reference for a piece of armour and study how the light reflects, nothing more. You can choose couple of things to study at once from reference though, but I would recommend to do it after you advanced further. After doing the study you apply the knowledge you gained by studying the reflection on the armour to the personal piece. And it is a really important step, when you study something, studying alone won't help, the moment you finish studying you need to apply it so it would be ingrained into your brain.

Additionally I would like you to watch these video, they will be a big help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46nruKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Hope it helps!

(01-14-2015, 12:18 AM)DomSinkevic Wrote: Hi Tan-Sau,

You're doing great. I especially like the figure studies. In previous post you asked how one goes about studying. First of you need to ingrain what is studying for. James Gurney in one of the interviews stated: "In art, a study is a drawing, sketch or painting done in preparation for a finished piece, or as visual notes." I would recommend first doing a personal artwork as far as you can and then when you are stuck, look for reference of things you are not sure how to draw/paint. After you find said reference, study the exact thing you don't understand in the study.

For example you have painted a dude with an armour, but you don't know how to the armour reflects light, so you find reference for a piece of armour and study how the light reflects, nothing more. You can choose couple of things to study at once from reference though, but I would recommend to do it after you advanced further. After doing the study you apply the knowledge you gained by studying the reflection on the armour to the personal piece. And it is a really important step, when you study something, studying alone won't help, the moment you finish studying you need to apply it so it would be ingrained into your brain.

Additionally I would like you to watch these video, they will be a big help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46nruKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the advice, Dom. Before I rendered the banana in both graphite and colored pencil, I took some time to study the form of the banana in preparation to the renderings, since I really wanted them to look solid. Mind you, this is probably the first time I've ever really done this. And now, I think I know what to do now. Thank you so much.
Recently, I've been stressing out on how to practice drawing, and DomSinkevic gave me some good advice. Study a certain subject and then apply it to your drawings. Being very impatient, I decided to create yet another (unrealistic) schedule for practice. But just like all the other schedules I planned, I dropped it shortly after planning it. So, I took another look at the links in Dom's post, and I learned that there was a difference between studying and practicing, and the two don't work well alone. Also, the reason why I always create these schedules and jam everything into it was because I hated my drawings from imagination and how they would look; as though I'm still in high school. I had to face them, one way or another in order to improve, so I thought back about 4 years, when I learned how to draw from my elbow. After a year, my drawings were finally clean, but they were still stiff. Two years later, I learned how to draw with a loose and gestural scribble, and last year, I learned how to block in shapes and draw smaller ones within. Problem was, I didn't really apply them to my characters...until earlier today.

I love drawing with a loose scribble and splitting bigger shapes into smaller ones. It definitely makes drawing from life, memory, and imagination far easier. Of course, I know I need to study anatomy, proportion, and all that other stuff, but I'd like to readjust myself and get re-accustomed to drawing this way so I won't have another breakdown.