Jaik's Sketches & Thoughts
making head on poses dynamic is hard.. i don`t know if you want some critique, but here some tips from a newbie (so don`t take anything as professinal advice ;-) )
i would try to position her swordarm different. if you want dynamic, think of shapes as general - the whole figur could built a triangle, so strecht her swordarm outward.
for the other arm - make it more 3dimensional by not stretching it simply to t he side, but mor forward. don`t be afraid of foreshortening :D
or you could bend the arm at the elbow, so that you do not only have straight lines.
and of course - pose and antipse of hips and shoulders :) even in a straight-on-view they are not completely horizontal. putting a little S-curve into the body - and tadaaa! it looks more dynamic

sorry if I`m rambling, but I love the design of the girl so far, the potential of this piece is really great! :) the color contrast blue-yellow really works really good, and the details in the dress are to die for :)
push it!

Saraiza: You can see right through me, scared of foreshortening was exactly what i was feeling lol. Ill give it a shot though, a failure that you learn something in is worth more than a success that you do not. I may change the hips a lil too. Good advice, and I thank you for it :) thankyou for dropping by my sketchbook and for the kind words.

--

Work, work..

[Image: 31-5-12-1.jpg]

[Image: 31-5-12-2.jpg]

Photoshop doodle and update on fairy ( -_-;; ) chick. Then jut sketchbook doodles from the train and other places. Tried cartooning by turning photo faces to exaggerated heads, didnt turn out too well but it was fun..

[Image: 1-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 1-6-12-3.jpg]

[Image: 1-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 2-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 2-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 2-6-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 2-6-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 2-6-12-5.jpg]

Uggh okay finally over sickness, hated that, probs would of gotten better faster if i actually rested. What ever.. So I did revision of anatomy, started bloodsports, finished the fairy thing, or atleast gave up lol, theres also my traditional landscape i have been working on for the last couple of weeks here and there.

Thanks for stopping by, longest I've gone without an update lol.

[Image: 5-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-5.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-6.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-7.jpg]
[Image: 5-6-12-8.jpg]

Today I did some Hogarth, then an armour study for my bloodsports (~3hrs) and a face (~1.5-2hr)

[Image: 6-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 6-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 6-6-12-3.jpg]

Muscle of the day today is the deltoid, and a study in the way of Mucha, trying to work out what makes his style look.. Mucha-ish >.>

[Image: 6-6-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 7-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 7-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 7-6-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 7-6-12-4.jpg]

Still life, finish of the mucha study and I had much more of the bloodpsorts to show except photoshop fell over after 4hrs and i hadnt saved a thing.. pretty much hate life.. though it is now a lesson learnt.. I guess...

[Image: 8-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 8-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 9-6-12-1.jpg]

Bloodpsorts update, cbf uploading my anatomy studies, scanning takes too long =/

[Image: 11-6-12-1.jpg]

Bloodsports update (dont think I'll get it done in time) and an attempt at converting faces to line drawings, half are from Loomis, half from photos.
Also an hour or so sketch, not really happy with it.

[Image: 13-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 13-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 13-6-12-3.jpg]

loads of stuff, and updated frequently, keep at it I can see a lot of progress already!

Rich4rt: Haha nice comment to come back to after being lazy and not updating for a few days =/ Thanks for the kind words though ^^

--

Been mostly working in my skecthbook, and i cant be bothered scanning. Also pushed an enviro as far as I could, it took a loooong time, need crits bad. So thats all Im posting today, hopefully I can post some more later. Or maybe I should just stop being lazy and scan my sketchbook...

[Image: 16-6-12-1.jpg]

Imagination piece, building it up using shapes isntead of line work.
Portrait stuff, first was using a different palette for mixing, sycras method, i forget what its called, then was a quick portrait using the RGB sliders instead of the color picker window (much harder to get the right colours), third was done upside down, so thats why 1 eye was bigger than the other and I didnt notice, colours were chosen again with the RGB sliders.. so rough :P

[Image: 18-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 18-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 18-6-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 18-6-12-4.jpg]

cool stuff! I really like that landscape above. keep working with ur heads and values. ur paintings are too washed out. dont be a afraid to go darker. keep up the good work!

Yog Joshi: Thanks Man! I took your advice and went back to values for a bit, might try and push these to colour some time. Or better yet just do more and push them to colour..

--

Portrait day

[Image: 19-6-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 19-6-12-2.jpg]

Sorry havent updated this in a while, I have been sick, very very sick, never been that sick before lol. Bed ridden, I thought that was just what Mums did to their kids to scare them off lying about being sick for school. But no, I was actually stuck in bed for 5 days without being able to sit up, so no drawing =/ I'm better now though, still sounds like one of the 7 lords of hell is trying to escape from my chest when I cough but should be fine.

Ok so I did this free hand which is why one side looks like its sinking into the earth, my lines are fairly straight, but definitely not parallel.

[Image: 20-6-12-1.jpg]

Now I am trying to push my understanding of value in environments because I think thats my weakness.. No idea why I find it so hard =/

[Image: 20-6-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 20-6-12-3.jpg]
[Image: 20-6-12-4.jpg]
[Image: 20-6-12-5.jpg]

And my 'update' of my last enviro, fixed some of the waterfalls, and a really poor attempt at pushing some of the far values back, this was when I started to get sick so I gave up pretty soon lol.

[Image: 20-6-12-6.jpg]

Worked yesterday then spent 4-5hrs on this last night, need to add more but I'm okay with how its looking for now.

[Image: 2-7-12-1.jpg]

Did some skull studies, need to haul out more loomis and hogarth, again. And an enviro in pencil, I dont usually do pencil enviros but I thought it might be worth a try and see if I can get the atmospheric perspective working, I might also try and digitise this to colour sometime soon.

[Image: 3-7-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 3-7-12-2.jpg]

[Image: 3-7-12-3.jpg]

Okay I tired monster/demon thumbnails for the first time (im pretty sure) a couple of nights ago, posting it now not because it got better but because I tried again and they came out a bit better (or atleast I think so), and even rendered them somewhat. Just proof to keep trying, again and again.

Attempt #1:
[Image: 4-7-12-1.jpg]

Attempt #2:
[Image: 4-7-12-2.jpg]
[Image: 4-7-12-3.jpg]

First time ever taking a sketch to digital, was actually really fun.
So today I have for you, Poke-Pin-Up Pikachu... Going to go to colour next

[Image: 5-7-12-1.jpg]
[Image: 5-7-12-2.jpg]

And this is the finished Poke Pin-Up: Pikachu (or atleast as finished as its going to get). The face looks better zoomed in to about 3x normal view, and I cant work out why.. Does anyone else find this with their works?

[Image: 6-7-12-1.jpg]

Also did some enviro thumbs, took me like 20min.

[Image: 6-7-12-2.jpg]