JaneXPerience Book
Hello everyone Im Jane and I'm currently rusted steel. age20-soon to be 21, trying to become happier, better, more experienced like you all here. I have plenty of errors that I cannt see..so critiques/paintovers/advices are pleasantly accepted here. Thank you thank you
Blushing
Here is recent stuff

[Image: 0_zps05275163.jpg]
[Image: 1_zps01b8867c.jpg]

and this is my best recent illustration
so you now know my best
[Image: Illustration1_zps4aa49cca.png]

and here is a study from today. Learning is so fun Shock

[Image: study1_zps6ef5ac1b.png]

Please feel free to stop by my sketchbook
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6112
it is very lonely
Blushing
Today I found someone who is literally x100 better than me, but is only one year older than me! some amazing inspiration haha ; . ;

Worked on that study some more (done now)
[Image: armorstudy_zpsc60df7d5.jpg]

stilllifeves All the colors are off
[Image: study2_zps71671222.jpg]
[Image: study2_zpsa7b30ce0.jpg]

my first arhitecture study. Now I see why people photobash haha
[Image: study_zps7cd66cfb.jpg]

some stuffs (5hrs, 1.5hrs)
[Image: robo-butt_zpsb194995b.png]
[Image: drago_zps1bea59bb.jpg]

Please feel free to stop by my sketchbook
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6112
it is very lonely
Blushing
YOO I'd definitely suggest lots and lots of drawing, I'm seeing some structural and perspective errors throughout. You've got some nice colors going on in these. Just keep studying and remember whenever something gets easy, or comfortable - move away from it and study stuff that is hell so you can keep growing! :D

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Hey jane! I have some advice for you if you're interested

First of all, definitely give yourself a good balance between study and personal work. It's a bit of a cliche at this point but studying really is the best way to get better. I'm a bit of outlier when it comes to how you go about it; most people would recommened just doing 100s and 100s of studies in as short a period of time as possible, but for me that didn't work. I found more value in sticking with something for a while and learning to correct my mistakes than to keep making the same ones over and over again, in some sense reinforcing the errors rather than really learning anything. Definitely intersperse it with quicker studies to see your improvement and to see if you can make fewer mistakes, but find the balance between long and short.

Second, avoid using blending modes and photoshop effects if at all possible. I think there's more value in learning how to paint from scratch and really understanding how colours work rather than using too many blending modes. They're very useful once you understand light and colour better and once you understand how they work themselves, but they aren't a substitute for good painting knowledge if that makes sense. Making slight value shifts with levels or with something is fine but to add colour and try build up colours that way isn't. That's true both in studies and your own work

If colour is still too much at the moment, do some greyscale studies. The one you have here looks pretty solid! You look like you have a good understanding of value generally, even in your colour work, so if you want you can really push that to the next level or you can really focus in on colour to bring it closer to where you're at with values

The last thing I can say for now, and this is personal preference to be perfectly honest, is to avoid using the round brush. A lot of people will say you should be able to do a painting using just that brush or whatever but to be honest it's a pretty crappy way to work. Literally no artist in the history of everything has ever had such a poor tool to work with and for some reason we should be masters with it? Naww, play with some brushes that are more interesting and more natural, I think you'll like it more than the round brush. The round brush is pretty hard to work with and gives pretty "meh" results unless you have very strong foundational skills (anthony jones is very skilled with it for example)

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask anyone here for help!

Hey! It seems like you got some nice crits already, so I'll keep it short. You have some very cool colors going on and you should keep working on that. Another thing you should work on in my opinion is anatomy. However I am only judging from the two ladies you posted. Good luck! :)

E-MAIL - [email protected]

PORTFOLIO

Facebook page

othrandir.tumblr.com

othrandir.deviantart.com