How to best make use of this forum/community?
Lightbulb 
Hello!

Dear daggers,

Let me give you a brief intro:

- I'm new here! I was recommended this place to improve my art (by art I mean very few studies and copies I've done so far).
- I'm a beginner artist and I have a burning desire to be able to create my own worlds and scenes.
- I've already feel like I've wasted 5 years studying for a degree completely unrelated to art which I hated. 2015 has to be the year. Period. I need to get my shit together and improve. Ultimately I'll be getting an entry level job, freelance or go to an art schools if I get some scholarship money.
- Lastly, I'm working full-time so my time is limited, but that won't keep me from succeeding.

What do you guys say is the best way to take advantage of this great community and place in order to grow my technical and design skills?

Have a nice week, fellas!
Welcome! start making a sketchbook and posting your studies, but dont waste too much time uploading everything you do, just specifically post the things you need help with.
Also, there are fun community challenges going on, that's an excellent (if not the best) way to make use of a site like this.
And if you need help with something specific you can always post on the wip section.
Working full time, means you will have to make sacrifices if you want to make it, it will be hard, but not impossible. :)

Thank you, señor Eduardo!

I'm not sure if I'm ready for challenges but I'll do my best with studies then.

Do people usually follow a structure for studies or they just do whatever they feel like doing at the time? That's the first thing I struggle with constantly. What to study and how to consciously improve from it.

Would you have any tips on that?

And yes, sacrifices. That's something I'll have to get used to and I hope I can build enough discipline to keep up with it!
haha no prob! yeah discipline is the key, forget about inspiration.
About studies, if you keep working, you will improve regardless of what you do.
BUT, really focused practice will make you improve 1000x times faster.
Now if you are just starting out, i recommend you to draw stuff from life, the old fashioned way, with real paper and pencils.
Its boring, i know, but its the fastest way to improve your 3d vision and sense of depth. After you feel more comfortable drawing from life, start studying specific things. One thing at a time, be as specific as possible.
For example, if you want to improve your anatomy, dont just practice "anatomy" focus on a specific part of the body, like the legs, then the torso, then the neck, etc...
And that applies to everything, design, color...

To add to what eduardo has said, also don't be afraid of asking specific people for help or for tips. Not everyone feels the "entitlement" to walk into someone else's thread, skecthbook or otherwise, and help someone out even if it's explicitly asking for it, which is totally understandable. In my experience people are 100x more likely to help you out if you approach them and ask directly. Never have had a bad experience doing so, just be respectful of their time and you'll get answers!

When it comes to studying, focus on what you have an interest in. For example, I'm mostly interested in illustration at the moment, so in the beginning i spent a lot of time studying the important things for that, like anatomy, composition, colour theory etc, quite in depth. If you were more interested in concept art, you would focus much more on perspective, design, speed and so on. All art fields have the same fundamentals to draw from, however they tend to have bigger emhpasis on a select few. Illustration is generally about pretty pictures and engaging the viewer, concept art about selling an idea/design very quickly, so the aspects you focus on must compensate for that.

To get better at something the easiest way is to do some in depth studies, then do it from memory shortly afterwards to see if you're learning. Or if you're working on a finished picture, do studies of the things that will be in it. You don't necessarily need a schedule, only use it if you feel you actually need it. It might be helpful if you need order in your studies, however I personally never liked having one. Try both ways, and find a good balance for yourself.

That's really what most of my advice boils down, try everything for a little while, then double down on the thing(s) that work for you. Take a peak through the art discussion and resource forums, theres a lot of good information in there about a bunch of different topics and places to start working from.

Alright! Thank you guys so much for the nice welcoming replies.

No wonder why so many people favor this forum, you can really get that pushing energy to help you move on and avoid giving up.

I'll start looking around and open a sketchbook thread of my own :)
Welcome! yeah what the others said.
Also check these two must read threads. The first on ideas of study schedules and what not to do:
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4555.html
I studied for a few years while working full time in a non art related job before I went freelance. It's bloody hard, but it is totally doable.

This one is for some real inspiration and to know you aren't alone. Post your own story if you like :)
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/archive/...-5805.html

Be sure to make use of the crit threads too if you need some specific help.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta