DeReyner's Sketchbook
Just trying to get better, just a beginner though and not very confident in my work yet. This sketchbook is pretty much my journey of trying to get good. Will try to post frequently. Please feel free to comment and critique, all comments accepted. Thank you for viewing. Thumbs_up

These scribbles/sketches were done probably 2 or 3 weeks ago, however, I also have some fairly recent ones included as well. A lot of these were not using references and stuff (except for some anatomy stuff) due to me trying build mileage and getting familiar with the way in which I should handle brush strokes and as well as developing an affinity with photoshop. Oh, and these sketches are not colored because I simply do not know how to color (at least correctly) in which I will probably do later after I learn values, hues, and other color stuff which are pretty much a foreign language to me. If anyone can give good color tutorials or resources it will be much appreciated. Thinking

Arm scribbles. Not anatomically correct or proportionate, trying to see how well I can visualize arms with no references nor knowledge of the muscles. I should probably start my arm journey soon. I just need to figure out the scapula, clavicle regions first along with the other thoracic bones.

Study of off some anatomy website. Was probably done a sometime a week ago.

Some eye stuff that I came up with.

Some face stuff I came up with. I realize I'm pretty bad at drawing faces sideways. These were off the top of my head so anatomy and proportions are probably wrong. One of the JPEGs are LoL inspired. Feel free to tell me what is wrong or how I can make them better.

Light study.

Ribcage study I did off some anatomy website.

Scapula study off of some anatomy website as well as using some google images as references.

Shoulder study and stuff from some google images.

Skull study using different images on google.

An attempt to simplify the shapes of the skull.

Thanks for viewing, please destroy me in the comment section below, my body is ready for it. Shock
Value practice as well as imagining forms from shapes. Tried to document my process for future reference on what I did. Thinking

Did some block noses trying a sharp method. Also did soft round shapes using curved lines only.

Did some value practice with cubes and transitions into spheres.

Did an eye practice. Did pretty bad in trying to imagine forms here from shapes probably the worst thing along with the sphere. Sad

Simplifying head stuff trying to find major shapes and applying that. Used a little bit of reference and also intuition. Used a monochromatic scale still not comfortable with colors. Thinking

Color practice, some parts of the sketch I did not like very much, dissatisfied with this sketch probably because I didn't use any references for lighting sketch turned out bad especially some parts of the hair. Meh try again next time. Thinking

Some quick figure sketches off some images on google. Wink

Some designs I came up with. Inspired by listening to dope ass epic hero music. Mean smile

Some design I came up with. Thinking

hey! I think it would be helpful to you to work on cleaner lines, even though they are sketches, it looks like you're unsure of the marks you are making.
Also work on your construction, things like cubes and spheres, it will help with the rest of your work. The blocking exercises you did were looking quite nice!
(06-19-2015, 12:52 AM)VoodooMama Wrote: hey! I think it would be helpful to you to work on cleaner lines, even though they are sketches, it looks like you're unsure of the marks you are making.
Also work on your construction, things like cubes and spheres, it will help with the rest of your work. The blocking exercises you did were looking quite nice!

Sounds good, I'll start studying cleaner lines and construction (shapes, building up? idk what construction is) of basic shapes such as spheres, cubes, cones and other 3-dimensional objects when I come home later today. Thumbs_up
Yea, I meant starting the works using simple 3d shapes, like cubes, that way it's better to show depth and work on proportions :)
Sphere study. Some of it may be wrong because I didn't use a reference but should include the major light and shadow families that I studied a bit earlier before starting this. Its my first time getting the shadows down correctly so it may not be good yet.

One thing I'm trying to conceptualize in my head is whether or not cubes have highlights on individual planes. Suppose I have a light source and a cube, then if I shine collimated (light rays are parallel) light at the cube then I probably would not get a highlight on the cube unless the angle of that plane is directed towards the viewer in which that plane will be abnormally lighter than normal. Furthermore, if I take non-collimated light or the plane provides diffuse reflection I should get a highlight on the cube because some light rays will be directed at the viewer. Now in the real world we also know we never have perfectly collimated light and as well as never a perfect surface which allows for specular reflection so we will always have scattering, so in this sense would it be correct to sketch in highlights for cubes?

TL;DR

Due to the laws of physics will cubes always have highlights (other than edges)? If so is there a need to even consider these highlights?

I just want to get this out of the way before I start cubes. Thanks!
Studying forms. No reference so might be a little off especially the cast shadow of the long dowel like structure (looks kind of weird in my eyes, please tell me how to fix). I actually did not study cubes per se, however, I just applied what I kind of know of spheres onto cubes and my somewhat developed physics background.

Hey there DeReyner!

Yeah, Voodoo hit the nail on the head with his feedback, I was gonna suggest the same thing because believe me, it'll help you out a lot]

Great stuff continuing your work on understanding 3D forms; if you fear colouring, keep working on your values and working on these shapes and you'll be surprised by just how much you'll learn.
Considering you already have a decent background in physics, it seems this is already helping you out - don't worry about cubes so much! From what you've demonstrated, you're already on the money! When considering plane changes, think about displaying a 1-2-3 value read on each plane. You did this with the cube wonderfully (it wouldn't really work with spheres), but yeah to get forms to turn in space, having that 1-2-3 is what'll turn the 2D into 3D.

If you're having trouble with lighting 3D forms, like these shapes - I'd suggest playing around in 3D applications and creating your own lighting ^_^ you'll learn tons! Then you can apply this knowledge to whatever you paint!

Lastly, I would suggest incorporating gesture warm ups into your routine :) never underestimate the importance of the gesture O_O
Some great sites for doing these can be:
http://www.quickposes.com/
http://www.posemaniacs.com/ (this site has an array of study resources like "Hands for Drawing" which presents various body parts in a free-rotate 3D like app (I dunno I ain't techy), which is super helpful for studyin'!
Gestures are super important for a variety of reasons, though I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually

I hope I haven't bombarded you too much ahaha, I'll leg it now xD

Catch ya 'round, keep pushing dagger and you'll be making some sick gains in no time ^_____^

o/

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Shocked 
Some of my 1 minute gestures I just did today. Its my first time doing something like this so some advice would be nice to improve my gestures.  Wisecracker

Alrighty DeReyner, I'd love to help ya out and explain stuff but I'm not the best at articulating stuff most of the time...

Sooooo here, have this amazing video that'll explain the importance of gestures and how to draw 'em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y

Actually that whole channel is amazeballs, I'd recommend you check i out when you can :)

Have a good one! Keep at it!

o/

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
More forms, again, no reference so might be little off.

First attempt at trying to realize color on a sphere. Didn't turn out too great imo.  Thinking

Good to see you work on the fundamentals! If at all possible, try doing studies like your color ball from reference (preferably life), so you can observe what happens before applying it to work from memory. If you don't have a color ball, use some fruit instead - set up a simple light source and paint that. For your color ball, the shadow side is too desaturated - if the ball is colorful, it will still be that way in the shadows. Unless it's the light source that's colored - but then the highlight wouldn't be this white.
But you'll see what I mean if you take a ball or apple and observe it :)

Good luck!

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
(06-21-2015, 11:24 PM)Lyraina Wrote: Good to see you work on the fundamentals! If at all possible, try doing studies like your color ball from reference (preferably life), so you can observe what happens before applying it to work from memory. If you don't have a color ball, use some fruit instead - set up a simple light source and paint that. For your color ball, the shadow side is too desaturated - if the ball is colorful, it will still be that way in the shadows. Unless it's the light source that's colored - but then the highlight wouldn't be this white.
But you'll see what I mean if you take a ball or apple and observe it :)

Good luck!

I don't have an apple on me, however, I do have a mango but those are not really spherical but an ellipsoid. I have other round objects I found such as a ping pong ball and a styrofoam ball but those are not colored so that wont help me. Should I just use the mango or would using an image of an apple be fine?