Hallo Interwebs!
I'm 28 and done with a Bachelors in Art History(4yrs), and a Masters in Architecture (3yrs) and was always too scared to do what I wanted, and make art seriously.  Now I'm stuck with a bunch of debt and a job I dont like, and rusty drawing skills that aren't getting any better (though, to be fair, I'm not the worst).  Massive respect for all you dedicated artists on this forum.  I'm a bit of an internet lurker, so this is my first forum.  I'm hoping that I can establish some good habits, get inspired, and be part of the community, which is always a great help when learning.  I know I can get better with practice as long as I don't defeat myself with a negative attitude about what I haven't accomplished yet.  I've started drawing every day and would like to find a buddy who does the same so we can encourage accountability and growth in each other. :)
You have found your buddies! I have that same problem with the negativity just sucking away any desire to fail draw more, and need some accountability. Another option is the Sketchbook thread here-- people seem to notice when there's been a gap in posts. I haven't had the courage to post there yet, but I'm sure it will be a big help for us!
(07-08-2015, 01:33 AM)GabbyTaylor Wrote: You have found your buddies! I have that same problem with the negativity just sucking away any desire to fail draw more, and need some accountability. Another option is the Sketchbook thread here-- people seem to notice when there's been a gap in posts. I haven't had the courage to post there yet, but I'm sure it will be a big help for us!

Hellz yeah! I'm excited to post. Maybe I'll take some photos of some of my sketchbook tonight. I like showing people my stuff and talking about the pros and cons of it.  I was wondering though, do you know if there are rules against posting drawings from movies/tv characters?  Sometimes I just sit around and draw character's portraits from whatever I'm watching (admittedly I'm binging on star trek right now) but I wouldn't call it fan-art at all, just a subject for study.  Still, I think I'd feel a bit weird posting it. Thoughts?
(07-08-2015, 01:40 AM)Zerpdederp Wrote:
(07-08-2015, 01:33 AM)GabbyTaylor Wrote: You have found your buddies! I have that same problem with the negativity just sucking away any desire to fail draw more, and need some accountability. Another option is the Sketchbook thread here-- people seem to notice when there's been a gap in posts. I haven't had the courage to post there yet, but I'm sure it will be a big help for us!

Hellz yeah! I'm excited to post. Maybe I'll take some photos of some of my sketchbook tonight. I like showing people my stuff and talking about the pros and cons of it.  I was wondering though, do you know if there are rules against posting drawings from movies/tv characters?  Sometimes I just sit around and draw character's portraits from whatever I'm watching (admittedly I'm binging on star trek right now) but I wouldn't call it fan-art at all, just a subject for study.  Still, I think I'd feel a bit weird posting it. Thoughts?

I doubt there would be issues with that, since all that is is just using reference images. But then again, I just joined like yesterday so there might be something I'm missing. ^^;
Zerpdederp (oh man, best username lolol)! Welcome to the Daggers-!

Hey man, you hopped onto the right forum :) we're all about those art gains. The Daggers was built upon the idea of being the underdog gym down the road. We don't have flashy equipment, just the bare essentials - but they get the job done .
Making these "art gains" or improving in art, isn't about where you study e.g. art college/university, it's about how much hardwork and failing and getting back up again you're gonna do before you get anywhere :)
(I tell you this now because I love that you're stepping in with a positive attitude. If you remain with a positive attitude, even through all the knock backs (because there will be MANY), you've got what it takes! Just saying it as it is haha)

Just gotta keep an open mind, critically think while you're studyin'. Don't just copy things and hope for that you learned something. After you've studied whatever it may be, apply what you learn, no matter how hard it is O_O and you'll be ace.

Also, with the whole film/tv/media drawings - goooooooooooo for it! Anything is draw-able(?) haha.
Besides, the #1 rule here at CD is this:
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2
I am certain you won't break that golden rule XD

I hope you enjoy your stay, Zerpdederp! I'm looking forward to checking out your sketchbook when you make it (if you haven't already *gasp*). Don't be afraid to post _everything_ you do, including your failed attempts at something.
We're here to help and only want the best for each other.
Let us level up together!

I'll see you 'round o/ !

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all