Rotten's Pocket
Woke up this morning wanting to paint a lot of hair.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
That IS a lot of hair! Very solid design here, although I think you can improve it a bit by incorporating a longer dress if you're going for more on an ideal beauty. Keep it up!

Something about the cropping make me at unease.I think it my thought can resume itself to if you are going to crop crop enough.

Question is she sat on something under that robe?Because when i measure i get 6 head when the average realistic height of a women is about 7 1/2 head.

Attached Files Image(s)

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
(04-13-2022, 01:35 AM)cgmythology Wrote: That IS a lot of hair!  Very solid design here, although I think you can improve it a bit by incorporating a longer dress if you're going for more on an ideal beauty.  Keep it up!

Thank you - I am playing around without any overall plan. It's transformed a few times, more hair and feathers, and switched up the drapery. She is seated, but the full gown I think didn't match with the bodice. I've been recording it as I go so we can all review my scatter-brained process...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Hi RP,

That sketch is looking very good, lotza nice detail and a good composition...the wings and hair are going to make a nice challenge once you go to painting.

Looking forward to seeing it

(04-15-2022, 02:06 PM)Jephyr Wrote: Hi RP,

That sketch is looking very good, lotza nice detail and a good composition...the wings and hair are going to make a nice challenge once you go to painting.

Looking forward to seeing it

Hey Jephyr,

I just wanted to paint lots of overwhelming curls and then it turned into a monstrosity haha - I have had to stop and move onto something else so here it is...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Bit of a drop and run, made x for a group challenge elsewhere. Mostly rushed and very relaxed design-wise, but good excersize before what is about to be a very big week...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I'm pretty sure I only used my galaxy tablet for this piece, except for the end crop and compression, for which I prefer to use photoshop. Started on thursday morning on the bus to work and finished the lineart on Friday, spent the weekend painting it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

It hard to understand the pose and the wrapping of the arm i would argue.I almost thought that the body was an extra pair of fins that was running along her arm but than i saw it after a few moment .I think if i would be given the artistic liberty that i would change the frame to be a little bit longer in term of height and have added a bit of the bottom of the torso just to get a better read of the silhouette.I think what make it hard to read as two limb is the relative flatness of the arm that is going under the other arm on top of that no noticeable arm pit and the elbow being almost invisible mayy also contribute some what to this visual confusion.

There also those scale coming from an opposite direction and which are much larger which make me go is this the same creature or is that something she resting on it kinda disjointed because it so zoom in we don't know your creature so we have no idea how her body is outside the frame.Clarity is important it even a principle of design which is to be able to put yourself in the perspective of someone looking at your art for the first time of course it impossible to have a perspective outside of were own unless we ask someone else but it the thought of being able to ask oneself question about what principle we are trying to use to renforce the narrative of the piece that help establish clarity.

I am always impress by the softness of your lighting.But i think it might hurt you form being able to show volume.One thing also about thing reading flat would be to avoid using putting object in full frontal view aswell as side view.A three quarter view will always establish a better sense of depth just because you see more side of the object this help give a lot of clarity to element unfamiliar to viewer. A side view and a front view leak the x y z information of a 3d space that give the 3d illusion.

My Sketchbook
The journey of an artist truly begin when he can learn from everyone error.
Teamwork make your dream work.
Asking help is the key to growth.
Those last two pieces are very cool. Love the color one a lot!

Dark made some good observations about your proportion/design on the last one — but it sounds like it was done very quickly — so bonus points for that.

I really respond to your usual muted color schemes but would encourage you to continue to explore a wider palette as you did w FUTURION.

Really solid work with your latest, loving the character design and use of colors. The details are really well done too, the hair is especially really impressive and has a great flow to it. I think you could have pushed your values a bit further for a more natural look, but that's nitpicking at this point. Great work overall!

loving the last piece it looks perfect for a storytelling illustration you'd see in like a cinematic. had a wee noise through the sketchbook and your style in general is amazing.
(05-10-2022, 11:16 AM)Jephyr Wrote: Those last two pieces are very cool.  Love the color one a lot!

Dark made some good observations about your proportion/design on the last one — but it sounds like it was done very quickly — so bonus points for that.

I really respond to your usual muted color schemes but would encourage you to continue to explore a wider palette as you did w FUTURION.
Thanks again Jephyr :D Admittedly I have hidden Dark's posts from my view. But checking on it, yeah it wasn't so much a time issue as an aesthetic decision. The square format is for social media - definitely saved more of my colour-vision for things like the Futurion. Had to change the blue areas to a pinkish hue because it was looking too Marvel superhero-y. I believe there's a time and a place for that level of saturation :P 
(05-11-2022, 05:24 AM) Wrote: I really love how you mix motives from different genres - gothic, art novau, horror illustration etc. and come up with something which is your own. Big fan, always add to favorites your works on artstation :D
Likewise, you have an excellent creative vision behind your characters and creatures - even my artstation likes you, it kept showing your spawn of nelflheimr on the front page for me every now and then down the page. Always appreciate your lessons and advice.
(05-14-2022, 10:46 PM)cgmythology Wrote: Really solid work with your latest, loving the character design and use of colors.  The details are really well done too, the hair is especially really impressive and has a great flow to it.  I think you could have pushed your values a bit further for a more natural look, but that's nitpicking at this point.  Great work overall!
Hey CG, as a social media piece I wasn't all that attached, but I'll take the nitpicking to heed, I could have, but didn't want it too dark for the sake of keeping things soft. i.e. was being lazy for mermay :P I do want to do a more deep-sea version which will require deeper shading. 
(05-15-2022, 06:10 AM)Crowbit Wrote: loving the last piece it looks perfect for a storytelling illustration you'd see in like a cinematic. had a wee noise through the sketchbook and your style in general is amazing.

Hi Crowbit, welcome [or welcome back], thank you for taking a look. I have been leaning more into illustration appreciate the comment ^,^

--------------------------------------------------------------

And now, onto the next one which has been surprisingly straightforward with all the recent hair practice...

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Looking solid, reminds me of a female version of Chewy from the Stars Wars series, haha. Very strong linework as always, very crisp and highly detailed. The fur must have took you ages to draw! Good stuff!

Quote:Thanks again Jephyr :D Admittedly I have hidden Dark's posts from my view. But checking on it, yeah it wasn't so much a time issue as an aesthetic decision. The square format is for social media - definitely saved more of my colour-vision for things like the Futurion. Had to change the blue areas to a pinkish hue because it was looking too Marvel superhero-y. I believe there's a time and a place for that level of saturation :P loving the last piece it looks perfect for a storytelling illustration you'd see in like a cinematic. had a wee noise through the sketchbook and your style in general is amazing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And now, onto the next one which has been surprisingly straightforward with all the recent hair practice...

I do like your more muted color schemes and have said in the past your pieces that fall into that category remind me of an old scientific journal etc.  It's actually quite cool and helps your work stand out in the crowd.

I like your new Venus image — reminds me of an old GF of mine. : ) Looking forward to seeing your progress with it

(05-16-2022, 12:44 AM)cgmythology Wrote: Looking solid, reminds me of a female version of Chewy from the Stars Wars series, haha.  Very strong linework as always, very crisp and highly detailed.  The fur must have took you ages to draw!  Good stuff!
Yeah, I have gotten that a lot already - damn star shwarz... I just watched a thing about a boy adopted by some aristocrat in the 16-1700s with Hypertrichosis, and Fur is one of my favourite films, and then I think I watch a story recapped episode about a Norwegian film with a girl born with it. Iunno, it's a rare condition that is harmless and intriguing and I needed to paint it. Fur only took a couple of bus/train trips across two days, it was the water, branches and seashell that took a lot more time. I don't think I'll colour this one. 
(05-17-2022, 02:22 PM)Jephyr Wrote: And now, onto the next one which has been surprisingly straightforward with all the recent hair practice...

I do like your more muted color schemes and have said in the past your pieces that fall into that category remind me of an old scientific journal etc.  It's actually quite cool and helps your work stand out in the crowd.

I like your new Venus image — reminds me of an old GF of mine.  : )  Looking forward to seeing your progress with it
Thanks Jephyr, I like to treat colour like a sort of patina sometimes, and I've had comments about old journals before - still yet to get around to toying with that idea properly :D 

-----------------------------

Moving on from Venus ~

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

great work on this one even though furry people scare me for some unknown reason haha
Great work with 'Venus', it all came together incredibly well. The line work is insane!

Hey,

Your Venus turned out great. Love the white flowers — add a nice touch to your otherwise mono-chromatic color scheme.

The buildings are a cool addition — but seem a little cramped into that area.

Otherwise, your textures are really good, like on the shell — and the water is well done!

Very nice.