Critique Please
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and I'm seeking to improve as an artist, here's my last illustration I did based on a photo a found on pinterest, thanks for your time in advance.

[Image: tumblr_nym9lgMzMX1ssl9kko1_1280.jpg]
The bright background is taking attention away from the woman, who's stuck between seemingly back-lit, but front-lit at the same time, so things feel flat. I'm not sure what the blurry artifacts are in some random places, so maybe you can clarify that. I like the way you render her face and hands, and using a darker brown for both shape of shade as well as outline for her arm.

Focus.
(12-02-2015, 02:24 PM)meat Wrote: The bright background is taking attention away from the woman, who's stuck between seemingly back-lit, but front-lit at the same time, so things feel flat. I'm not sure what the blurry artifacts are in some random places, so maybe you can clarify that. I like the way you render her face and hands, and using a darker brown for both shape of shade as well as outline for her arm.

thanks for the critique, the white things are supposed to be snow flying in the air, overall this piece is a warm up for an illustration I want to do with a wizard of the coast feel and quality.
Unfortunately, you can tell what was copied from a reference and what was designed by you. The face and hands have a higher grade of rendering than the hair/robe/crown. The latter being about 80% of the illustration, its a big deal.

The shadows of the crown spikes all lie in an inconsistent/unrealistic way.

The only places you can see the flying snow pieces is when they are over the figure. If you hadn't mentioned that they were snow, i probably would not have picked up on them in front of the light blue background. I would rethink your color choices for the background. They work okay together, but in no way convey "cold" or "snow". Think of the emotion you're trying to get across.
Smile 
(12-03-2015, 08:10 AM)Admbrns Wrote: Unfortunately, you can tell what was copied from a reference and what was designed by you. The face and hands have a higher grade of rendering than the hair/robe/crown. The latter being about 80% of the illustration, its a big deal.

The shadows of the crown spikes all lie in an inconsistent/unrealistic way.

The only places you can see the flying snow pieces is when they are over the figure. If you hadn't mentioned that they were snow, i probably would not have picked up on them in front of the light blue background. I would rethink your color choices for the background. They work okay together, but in no way convey "cold" or "snow". Think of the emotion you're trying to get across.

thanks for the critique, you're right I should spent time in all of the elements not just in the face and hands, I'm gonna also work on being consistent in the shadows and light sources. thanks agains for the critique it was very helpful.
Hmm, the only thing that sticks out to me are the lines in the hands-- I think they could be softened/lightened. They look too dark and bold, and thus are taking away from the elegance of the overall look.

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!
Thumbs Up 
(12-03-2015, 10:35 PM)Bookend Wrote: Hmm, the only thing that sticks out to me are the lines in the hands-- I think they could be softened/lightened.  They look too dark and bold, and thus are taking away from the elegance of the overall look.

Hi! thanks for the critique, I still consider myself a beginner in painting hands they're so difficult to paint right.
Hey dude:
1. the hair has 3 types of brown color I think you should simplify it.
2. Also if you are going to outline the whole illustration should be outlined or otherwise don't use outline for the final render.
3. the crown lack core shadow.
4. to much negative space in the bottom part. maybe you should crop the image or resize the girl and the circle to occupy more space.
Tongue 
(12-04-2015, 05:28 AM)Alberto Wrote: Hey dude:
1. the hair has 3 types of brown color I think you should simplify it.
2. Also if you are going to outline the whole illustration should be outlined or otherwise don't use outline for the final render.
3. the crown lack core shadow.
4. to much negative space in the bottom part. maybe you should crop the image or resize the girl and the circle to occupy more space.

Hi Alberto! thanks for the critique, now that you mentioned I did left to much space at the bottom D:,  the crown could look way better as well, I was shooting for a hybrid thing with the visible outline in certain parts but now I see that looks off and makes it look lazy also the hair is always one of my weakest points (too much work) gotta work on that. 
thanks for the critique again!