xiemogui sketchbook
(12-26-2015, 03:19 PM)dodeqaa Wrote: Hello there,

Like how much work you put into your sketchbook! Keep it up!

Sorry to hear the still life didn't work out, might be a good idea to go back to it and see if you can find out what and where things went wrong, its a great learning opportunity. 

I have some ideas on your latest painting,

Feel that the fog and lighting effects you are introducing are affecting the definition of the subjects in the image. Try and keep the forms well defined , with 2-3 colours for each area of light and dark so you can work the design simply. Save a backup copy of the image before you start blending in the softer parts of the image, adding fog and the like. This is so you can compare and see if you've lost any definition. 

Hope this gives you some food for thought!

Thanks dodeqaa, i really appreciate your time for doing a paintover on my piece. I can see how some things just isnt working out on mine. Thanks again!

I have been with 2-3 colors thing but choosing colors have been a problem, im playing with colors nowadays to see how they work. so we'll see. Thanks again for your time!
Hiya. If you've been having trouble with color, I'd highly, highly, recommend taking the time and watching this video from start to finish, and refer back to it whenever you forget what your doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Noah has done an excellent job at explaining how to get better, and has assembled a pretty good list of things to study, exercises to do and books to read.
http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/10-books...must-read/

This post has probably helped me personally the most.
https://medium.com/@noahbradley/how-i-be....x8jh6klrb
(12-27-2015, 11:17 AM)Matthew M Wrote: Hiya. If you've been having trouble with color, I'd highly, highly, recommend taking the time and watching this video from start to finish, and refer back to it whenever you forget what your doing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Noah has done an excellent job at explaining how to get better, and has assembled a pretty good list of things to study, exercises to do and books to read.
http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/10-books...must-read/

This post has probably helped me personally the most.
https://medium.com/@noahbradley/how-i-be....x8jh6klrb

Hi Matthew, i finished that video a while ago, its a great refresher though, might rewatch it.
I really like how noah approaches those studies. 

Its aspiring to read how these people or what they did before reaching where they are now. Thanks for posting. I really appreciate your time to post this. :) Thanks!

---------------

Day 57

Skipped day 56, was still in my art block. Did a bunch of work but it felt horrible.

Anyway, day 57

Master copy

Speed painting

Personal work

Quick value

Failed zbrush model saved it as a doc so i couldnt finish the 3d. Reminder for anyone whose going into zbrush (Save it as a tool not a doc)

My first Finished zbrush model with lighting and effects done on photoshop(so much fun!)

Finished off the day with some silhouette, got burned out doing too much. Gonna weight off that ratio today.

(12-27-2015, 09:09 AM)xiemogui Wrote:

Sorry to hear the still life didn't work out, might be a good idea to go back to it and see if you can find out what and where things went wrong, its a great learning opportunity. 

Feel that the fog and lighting effects you are introducing are affecting the definition of the subjects in the image. Try and keep the forms well defined , with 2-3 colours for each area of light and dark so you can work the design simply. Save a backup copy of the image before you start blending in the softer parts of the image, adding fog and the like. This is so you can compare and see if you've lost any definition. 

Thanks dodeqaa, i really appreciate your time for doing a paintover on my piece. I can see how some things just isnt working out on mine. Thanks again!

I have been with 2-3 colors thing but choosing colors have been a problem, im playing with colors nowadays to see how they work. so we'll see. Thanks again for your time!

Heya! np ^^ theres many things working for it, the colour choice of green and pink is one, the ruins are interesting and can be pushed further, I was just talking about the fog stealing the definition of the shape of things. Keep experimenting and don't forget to note down the effects of your actions. don't be afraid to backtrack if things don't work out !
(12-29-2015, 10:57 PM)dodeqaa Wrote:
(12-27-2015, 09:09 AM)xiemogui Wrote:

Heya! np ^^ theres many things working for it, the colour choice of green and pink is one, the ruins are interesting and can be pushed further, I was just talking about the fog stealing the definition of the shape of things. Keep experimenting and don't forget to note down the effects of your actions. don't be afraid to backtrack if things don't work out !

Ahhhh the fog was just something last minute put on because i thought it'd give some contrast. Thanks for replying Dodeqaa!

_____

day 58

quick still life and picture value copy

Studies and observation before personal work

personal work

Wanted tp limit byself to 3 brushes and painted something diffent than what i had always done so i painted the ship above. Unexpectedly had fun painting those damn waves.
Day 59  and 60

Woohoo finally reached 2 months since i started. Hope the 3rd month and the new year will be a good one. 

More ship, gotta practice more on tonal values
 Did mostly anatomy on traditional medium since im better focus while im with the pencil rather than digital.

Worked on this random piece on the 60th day but i messed it up. just, wanted to go over my limit once in a while. Only managed to rendered the top left most. Managed to only reach grayscale finish, tried coloring, but grayscale coloring is too troublesome.

Did some teapots still life too, might be able to finish it somewhere tomorrow.

This sounds like a blog...
Hahaha, it _is_ a blog! It's _your_ sketchbook thread :) When you grind an image, it helps to step back (aka, put it away and not look at it) for a while every now and then, then you'll get a fresh pair of eyes to look at it.

Focus.
(01-02-2016, 03:46 PM)meat Wrote: Hahaha, it _is_ a blog! It's _your_ sketchbook thread :) When you grind an image, it helps to step back (aka, put it away and not look at it) for a while every now and then, then you'll get a fresh pair of eyes to look at it.

Hi meat!, i appreciate your time to post here :)

My writings kinda boring and somethimes too wordy thought it might bore people.

I have been stepping back and doing the fresh eyes kinda thingbut sometimes without knowing iget too absorbed in the image. My mouth literally opens wide, i fear that bees and mosquito might go in someday. 

I have been trying to counter not being maybe too absorbed with my work by putting my jar of biscuits in the kitchen(i get hungry every min). Me going there and eating those every half an hour, its no wonder im getting some serious six pack growing. 

Anyway, my back have been kinda aching the past few days, might be some smalltime tendonitis :/ so not much digital work did a bunch of traditional tho. Ill just post the digital ones.

Still life,(did each part, drapery and those teapots(they are teapots no?) over the course of 3 days it was too boring just sitting there and painting it so i had to detached myself. It surprisungly help  tho, currently doing some illustration wanted to test it out on my own  piece with drapery and metallic stuff in it. Gonna be done with it soon. 

Some landscapes random landscapes(not much direction with both of em :/) gonna have to research and expand myself out abit.

Cant really upload yesterdays work, at a relatives house today.

Anyway day 64

Been a while since i posted anything here.
Some personal works i did during the long absence. :):

Fun. 

Cool stuff man! I think you should spend more time on practicing anatomy, but you already probably know that. Good job on having such imaginative designs! For a 16-17 y-old you're progressing pretty well! I'm assuming your aim is something similar to what awesome chinese artists like Fenghua Zhong, Tianhua Xu, Ruan Jia are doing? The texturing and subject matter behind your latest paintings resemble theirs. Or am I completely wrong? Anyways keep it up!

really cool illustration :)
how much time did you spend on it?

love the values and ideas, id love to see you take one of them to the finnish no matter how it ends up, that last is just amazing probabbly my fav in your sb, more man!

Dawckbook

Stream

When in doubt ask yourself, what would scooby do?