SweatBook - Wet & Messy
Done with this one for now,

what do you guys think?

1 hour color study

i need to do like 3 or 4 of these a day

color study of today, i need to do way way waaaaay more of these... now i can see how little i know about color, I learn so much from just doing one!

Study i did right now, idk what's going on, i see it well on PS, but on the normal viewer it's almost all black...

here it shows up alright, so i have no idea whats going on :S

Well this is awkward xD

After a long absence (family, health and work issues) I'm back and hoping that this time is for a good productive while :D

Soo there's 1 old study in here but i figured why not post it,

then the girl study is a couple months old.

and finally the life study I did yesterday to celebrate me being able to change my horrible job into part time and get into practicing art so that I can maybe quit by the end of the year ( I only make about 500usd so idk how likely I am to be able to make that off art so soon )

now 1 thing about the life study besides it being probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and my first life study from stuff on my desk is that my lamp is a warm lamp, and the shadow on the square eraser is a kind of warm shadow that i think doesn't make much sense since shadows need to always be cool? so there's that also, the kneaded eraser on the light side should be warmer and also the white on the little pokeball thing should also be warmer, but since i know they're gray and white it's really hard to see those little things (only noticed 2 hours after I was done when I went back to look at it.

Also picking those warmer colors and still having them read as white etc is no easy peasy but any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

also I tried avoiding blending and soft brushes so I could work on my edgework and form is that a good thing to do or am I goofin?

anyway...

Thanks a lot for reading checking out my stuff and helping me out ;D

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey welcome back! The study is awesome. Excited for moreee!

Welcome back! I think using soft brushes are fine- just be careful with them! I think soft brushes are good to use for form shadows and for expressing the fall of light (when applicable).

Shadows also do not need to be always cool :) It just depends on your light's colors and set up and the colors of the materials near by. When you go outside during the day, the shadows are cooler because the sky reflects blueish light into the shadow.

Also, your life study looks awesome! :D Keep up the good work.

Thanks Noodle even tho the only awesome thing is my ability to not do things correctly xD

Axrel yeah, I mean I think I had a serious issued with going too blurry and smudged so I'm trying to just get the shapes and stuff right :o Idk maybe i'm dumb! xD

so here's some horrible pencil stuff that makes me want to cry not only due to the quality but also it takes me like 7 years to do one of these :<

so yeah, also gonna start some more studies today so i'll be back later today hopefully, I just wanted to get these scanned and up so I actually feel like I'm doing something even tho I should be doing 100x more

(ps: One if a photo cuz I took it when I finished the page and then ruined while doing something else xD)

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice! Michael Hampton studies? :)

Axrel- You know it dude ! I love that book :3

So it's 5 am and i got work tomorrow(, only at 3pm tho :p) and I can't be a lazy poop head :D

so i did another horrible life study! 

at least I got the colors warmer this time! so it looks more coherent i think! since I have a warm lamp right now, so  I guess I'm not completely hopeless :D

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice study! Really liking those colors :)

I did a quick paintover. Well, not really a paintover, just to show you your mistake, which you have a lot. First of all, your composition. The space around your objects is too wide. Second thing is that your objects are "flying", there is no surface beneath it. There is no form to your objects, incorrect perspective, problems with values. Well, I wrote all those things. Cheers. Hope that'll help.
[Image: _4fGC0wLX0k.jpg]

Axrel- Thanks man I appreciate it :D

Anton- Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to take all that into consideration when I do my next one! 

even tho my light is super orange and makes everything warm so I don't see any cool shadows since there's pretty much no other light on the stuff

So this is a quick sketch that looks horrible and represent pretty much my mood today :<

sorry for being such a weak sauce guy 

sigh

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey, it looks like you're going in the right direction. I like your new piece :D. Perhaps for the still life studies, do multiple ones in line art and try to draw out the forms. Although, painting them is much more fun :I. You could also focus on form/shapes in your anatomy studies more as well.
Warm light - cold shadows (vice versa) is a rule. You won't see all kinds of colors irl, but as artist you will exaggerate. You could not see all colors you need yet, but it'll come with expirience. For now just belive me - it's a rule.

Quote:even tho my light is super orange and makes everything warm so I don't see any cool shadows since there's pretty much no other light on the stuff

Anton said what's needed to be said. But make no mistake about it. That warm light,cool shadows rule is a doozy. It's not an easy subject to grasp as one may believe. It's hard to notice the warm cool relationship of things specifically when your light source is warm, and the objects that surround your subject reflect warm light towards your subject as well.

Keep in mind that colors are relative. Just because that thing you're seeing is red, orange, or yellow, does not mean it's necessarily warm (in it's relationship to what you have as a light source). You can have a cool/cold versions of those colors. Two tips to make a "warm" color look cold:

1. Desaturation makes it cold.
2. Shift the color a little bit to a colder hue. For example: If you have a red ball under a warm light, I'd drag the the hue towards blue. So I'd probably end up using a purple color for the shadows.

*edit: Do the opposite to make a color warmer.

Overall dude, you're doing alright. Don't beat yourself up over it and just realize that the more pieces you got under your belt, the more things will make sense. Given you always separate yourself from the work and evaluate.

Good luck! Hope my babbling made sense.

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead
I was thinking of making a new account and getting a fresh start on here, but I decided to face my failures head on and deal with the fact I for a time(s) gave up on myself

so if I ever make it I can look back at that very lesson here

so after a long ass "break" I'M BACK!

Hey SweatiestDegree,

For the most part your recent feet here are looking flat, which is because these images don't show the structure of the foot through value and lighting. I'd encourage you to work with well-lit reference that shows the form. Use construction drawing methods if you want to be able to recall what you've drawn, practice that construction without the ref, from other angles, etc.

(04-13-2018, 01:12 PM)ThereIsNoJustice Wrote: Hey SweatiestDegree,

For the most part your recent feet here are looking flat, which is because these images don't show the structure of the foot through value and lighting. I'd encourage you to work with well-lit reference that shows the form. Use construction drawing methods if you want to be able to recall what you've drawn, practice that construction without the ref, from other angles, etc.

You're right, I'm trying to improve on all those things, it's gonna come from repeated practice and observation
I always try my best to use basic shapes to build whatever I'm drawing first so give me some time to get that down and I'll for sure improve at it :D

thanks for the comment

these are from the last few days, been working and having exams, but got none this week so ya'll gonna be smelling my ugly feet xD

back again with more footsies! TAKE MY SMELLY FEET!