Good art schools and/or classes?
Hey guys! I really need your help!:blush:

I'm looking for good art classes to attend in Canada or in Europe. (Preferably without having to enter any college/school program)

I already looked up in the U.S.A and my biggest issue is that art school tuitions in the U.S are totally unaffordable to me, o_0 so I wondered if maybe I could find something great and less expensive in Canada or Europe! (with or without having to enter a college program)

My goal is to become an illustrator/ concept artist, just to help you know what kind of program might interest me. ;)

So if you know any schools or classes that could be interesting, you know what to do! :)

Thanks a lot! :)

You are your only limits!

Sketchbook
Blog
Portfolio
There is a lot of knowledge in the internet. You just need strong determination, gather knowledge, reference and paint/draw at least 5/6 hours a day.

You can also enter one of the mentoring programs on this forum or ask for some advice from other artists.

That is, however, just my opinion. And it will not work if you do not have a strong will to succeed.

Anyway, good luck!

Well I do have the motivation and I'm ready to work my socks off! That's all I ask for!
The thing is, I'm a 2nd year student in an art school in Switzerland right now and still have 2 years to go. And I absolutely don't like it there.
It's not fulfilling and really bad quality teaching (even though they are nice people). I'm not fulfilled there and I don't feel like I'm learning at all.. So I'm actually thinking about dropping off school, which I discussed with my parents (who pay that school). They weren't pleased about it at all.. So if I want to leave school, they need me to have a "concrete" plan and so do I. Or at least a little bit of outside/foreign teaching, getting to know other people, artists, going abroad etc.. (Nothing worth it here in Switzerland)

I'm ready to fully commit to my art and all I want is to spend my days doing that, improve and get a job, but I just cannot drop off school (and Bachelor degree) and tell my parents "Well, now my plan is to sit all day long at my desk everyday and draw. I promise I'll get better and it's a better plan than going to that crappy school!".
I need a ""real" plan. Maybe I should drop off school, get a part time job and pay for online teaching, that could be great... But as I said, that doesn't sound like a "concrete" plan to "regular" parents. :P

So I'm a bit stuck here, I don't know what to do.. :(
All I know is that painting and creating stuff is ALL I want to do with my life.

Sketchbook
Blog
Portfolio
The question is - is your goal to make a career in illustration/concept art (and make your parents happy in the end) or to please your parents for the next few years while wasting your time in a crappy school?

Believe me I know your pain. I got a master degree last year at one of the 3 best universities in my country and with my abilities I could probably get a pretty nice job. My parents weren't very happy to hear I'm not going to look for a job because I want to shut myself in a cave and paint for the whole day, everyday in order to make a career in a completely inane business.

It took some time to make them realize I'm not just wasting my time and that my effort will be profitable soon.

If you need a real plan then make one, put it on the fridge so everyone could see:
6 AM -wake up, eat, exercise
7 am - pencils - gestures etc.
8 am - watching/ reading tutorials, browsing art wabsites
9 am - study
11am - compositions
Meal break
1pm - doodling
2pm - study
3pm - personal piece
5pm - meal
6pm - anything from the above
7pm - personal piece
11pm - sleeep

"BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS. I LOVE YOU MOMMY AND DADDY"

Just an example. You can personalize your plan, but everyone should see, you're not wasting your time.

I would probably advise to get a part time job and gather some money for a workshop or full year diploma at FZD school.

I'm not living with my parents :P but that could be a good idea! I had already thought about writing down a plan and sticking to it. For sure showing that to my parents could be a beginning..
I'm more and more considering that option.. Getting a part-time job, so I can become more independent while I work at home all day long and, as I go, I could also take some online classes (CGM, Smart School etc).
FZD really isn't the place I'd go if i could choose a place. Even though I love Feng Zhu. But yeah, maybe later I'll have enough money and my skills will be grounded enough to go abroad, get a job in the US... Who knows? I will think about that option seriously now.

Thank you so much for the help and thoughts sharing. Knowing what you've been and are still going through reassures me.. I'm not alone! ^^ Being an artist is never easy and I guess I have to prove my family I have what it takes. :)

Sketchbook
Blog
Portfolio
Glad to be of help. Good luck :)

If I may can ask my opinion about it, I just can repeat what @Jasielski said, work your ass of and have a plan.
I had a similiar situation for a few years and asked some guys who allready worked in this instustry. If you want to work there a degree can be helpfull, but is not in any way neccessary, msot important is your portfolio, experience and the programs you can work with. Some single courses can be good, I've got some nice books and tutorials too, but in the end you must paint. It takes a while and long time to get where you want to be, but if you work on your skills, gather ressources and try to improve yourself you on a good way.
Just keep it up.
Thanks Anmaril, I'll keep that in mind. I'm doing my best from now on. :)

Sketchbook
Blog
Portfolio
(10-23-2012, 03:13 AM)LaleAnn Wrote: Thanks Anmaril, I'll keep that in mind. I'm doing my best from now on. :)

:)
When it's get hard, do a break and come back, but keep doing it, good luck!