Slay me, my friends.
Hey guys! 
I've been working on this character this week for a school project and I would love some of your input on what you think I should work on. Still pretty rough so I'm all in for making changes.

Short little backstory of the character: 

We're in the 19th century, the industrial revolution is at it's peak and more and more forests are cleared away because of the demand for wood.
My character is an old chinese man, who has always been in touch with nature. Sickened by what's happening to the environment around him, he decides to abandon the modern life and live in solitude out in nature.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks great, the drawing is solid. I think you could add more brilliance in your colours, it is looking a bit muddy. Introduce greens and yellow on the bottom planes from bounced light. More variety in edges,color, etc. Missing highlights on the lighted area and missing a cast shadow from the raised arm and staff that would be casted on the knee.
Sorry for the late update! Here is the newer version. Do you think it's still too muddy?  Are the highlight better?

I think I'm struggling a little with taking this one much further.
Also, is there anyone who has some tips on designing a nice looking staff? I'm worried if mine is looking a little too random

Attached Files Image(s)

Tray adding some vegetation and foliage. Maybe a plant in the corner on the first plane (maybe even blured a little for effect). As for the staff - approach it like it was a branch taken from a tree. You can probably finde some good examples on the internet.

To add interest, I would integrate the background with the foreground more (like Piotr suggested) add some unifying elements like foliage, etc. I would also convey the "spotlight" effect that forests have, with the sunlight filtering through the trees bringing attention to the focus point. Here are some examples of the lighting I'm talking about

Attached Files Image(s)

It might be pretty sweet if the butterflys and only the bottom half of his face were lit by direct sunlight
Sweet! thanks you guys I'll go work on it tonight!
This is it so far, still needs a lot of work though. I think it's definitely starting to look better; I have a tendency to neglect environments mainly because I see it as one of my weaknesses, but it can really make a painting come to life.

Attached Files Image(s)

Super cool.
I would tone back how dark the bottom half FEELS. Its probably a fairly accurate depiction, but I would allow a few smaller 'spotlights' filter through and hit the ground, making some secondary focus points. That will add some saturation contrast to the bottom and the bounced light from those spots can lighten up certain parts of his legs.

I know you said you arent done, but some 'blooming' will make it feel more enchanted
Heyo,

Great piece! 

Heres what I feel you could explore. working the shading in the shaded areas of the character, as well as neutralizing some of the harsh black edges in the fingers, the cogwheel on the bench, etc. 
Also, toned down the brightness(contrast) of the lit patches of grass as well as the bg, to allow the contrast on the character to be dominant.

Hope it helps give you some ideas!

Sorry for fudging the shape on the hair, just noticed it as I was posting T.T

Keep up the great work!
Thanks so much for your feedback guys, it's helping so much! I'll post an update tomorrow :D
Good luck! I forgot to share these images by Sorolla, you might find some ideas for lighting from it.

Sorry  I'm so slow at these updates. School is taking up so much time at the moment since we just started a new project and I'm also trying to squeeze in some studies here and there x_x

Anyway here is a little update, I had a some spare time to work on the changes. Now I'm trying to play around with the lighting, trying to figure out how to organise  it so it adds to the painting instead of just looking like random light blobs.  Hopefully I'll have more time to work on that tomorrow.

Again, thank you so much for all your help guys, couldn't do this without you!

Attached Files Image(s)

So much improvement between the first and the last update! Looking forward to see where it is going. Keep pushing and remember the things you learned :)

Thank you! It's amazing what just getting some help from others can do!
Yeah I'll definitely try to apply everything to my next painting :D
Good update! Can't wait to see it finished!
So I think this is where I'm going to leave it. I'm starting to do too much unnecessary noodling, so I'll try to take everything I learned from this one and put it in my next paintings as well.
Thank you so so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Attached Files Image(s)

Good job BjorkJT, turned out nice! Keep it up!