ConSketch's Sketchbook
(03-29-2016, 09:48 PM)ConSketch Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 09:19 PM)DQ_Nick Wrote: Have you tried drawing from life at all? Like just setting up a quick still-life with some fruit or going to a coffee shop and sketching people. It's a great challenge and forces your brain to interpret 3D information in a really involving way that copying flat images from books doesn't do. I'd really recommend you try it!

Not enough. Would you recommend that I focus on this? I've been reading Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but it's been pissing me off more than helping me. Should I just focus on drawing from life, and studies?

Sure man, why not? Just have a sketchbook that you fill up with sketches from observation in every day life; at home, coffee shops, restaurants, bus stations, airports, whatever. If you have the opportunity to go to a figure drawing session in your local area I would definitely recommend going once a week or as often as you can afford.

Don't stress yourself out, work on whatever subject is interesting to you!

(04-01-2016, 06:18 PM)DQ_Nick Wrote: Sure man, why not? Just have a sketchbook that you fill up with sketches from observation in every day life; at home, coffee shops, restaurants, bus stations, airports, whatever. If you have the opportunity to go to a figure drawing session in your local area I would definitely recommend going once a week or as often as you can afford.

Don't stress yourself out, work on whatever subject is interesting to you!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, I'm kind of running blind here, haha. Just so you know, your sketchbook is partly what inspired me to make my own, so huge props to you.
Study time again! Some geometric shapes of heads, for the most part.

Here's my new schedule! If I'm going to take drawing seriously, and if I'm going to improve, than I need a schedule. If there's one thing that I learned from writing, it's that discipline is one of the most important traits to have when it comes to improving a skill.

Notes about the schedule

-Monday is video game day, NO VIDEO GAMES EXCEPT FOR MONDAY. Video games are a huge time waster, 4 hours of video games are 4 hours I could have spent improving my drawing. I'm playing video games on Mondays because I have some after-hours class bullshit, so I won't be home until 5:30 or so, and at that point, I'm not in the mood to draw anyway.

-Thursday is free-draw day. FREE DRAWING IS NOT RESTRICTED ON OTHER DAYS. If I want to do some free drawing on another day, that's fine, but I still need to study. Thursday just means I have the freedom to draw whatever I want.

I'll post some study pictures later, I've done 288 drawings of heads (and counting) in the past 3 days.

Dachshund update! I'm starting watercolor, and this is my first time doing it. If you have any tips on how to... not ruin this piece.

And now, all of my studies! (So far)

More studies by the windowsill.

[attachment=84433 Wrote:ConSketch pid='99906' dateline='1460949768']More studies by the windowsill.

you should try the loomis approach for drawing the head. Look at Drawing the head and Hands book, or at Proko's videos on youtube on head drawing.[Image: BnWrOfi]

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-22-2016, 12:39 AM)alexdanila Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 01:22 PM)ConSketch Wrote: More studies by the windowsill.

you should try the loomis approach for drawing the head. Look at Drawing the head and Hands book, or at Proko's videos on youtube on head drawing.[Image: BnWrOfi]

Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out.