Dragon, YEAH!
[Image: jLaNtsEjpv8ZY.png]

This is a dragon and a mage (on the grass).
My question is; how do I add depth/scale, the dragon is supposed to be really freaking big

Dragons have arms and wings, if you have him gripping the cliff It may help pull the image together, you can use depth of field to either focus on the wizard or the head of the dragon.
The composition is completely centered save for his lobbed off horns, it makes for a rather boring composition. Try to shift it up a bit!

As for the scale issue, I think the problem is you're not giving the viewer enough to compare the dragon to. We have no real frame of reference; there's the cliff but we have no clue how big it is or how close the dragon is to it and there's the guy but he's not all that small and besides that one bit of size reference isn't enough.
look at this http://farkwhad.deviantart.com/art/Water...-267370963
one thing the artist did in that painting was have some palm trees and the human figure in the foreground and some much smaller palm trees in the background with the monster. since the palm trees are so much smaller next to the monster the guy must be 3 times smaller next to it, and he's already pretty tiny.
Thanks vertical and dwalkerart! I really like the Water Colossus, The next time I draw something with a giant monster/dragon I'll try doing that stuff. Anyways I added some claws, a guy and some heads.

[Image: A6Xen.png]

Did a paintover.

[Image: IrgoO.jpg]

Keep it up!
That is much scarier and better. I really like the light in front of the character and the big shadow behind him. Thanks for the paint over!