chubbycat's sketchbook!
Thanks for visiting my sketchbook! I think your project is looking really really good! Your lines are amazingly confident and crisp, and I really like all the time and effort you put into all your work and research. It's great for example how much effort you put into designing all those skateboards.

Don't really have much to add except keep up the good work! Looking forward to see what you bring us in the future! :)

@Zorrentos Thank you for the kind words!! Really appreciate them - they are very encouraging :) Researching is half the fun of it tbh haha, although I know I don't get everything 100% 80's accurate. But how can you complain when research is literally just watching old skating comp videos lmao

---------
His character design has come along way since the first round of thumbs; definitely feeling more 80's. I think it's going to feel even more 80's when I start experimenting with colour thumbnails

[Image: 9d7b4f446619c21201138360f48395a5483ee634.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

And though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea
Been working on colour thumbs for my new skater boy. Finding it hard to pick which one cause they are all a look (though I do need to go back and edit the board a bit more to reflect the clothes palettes). I think they look 80's with their vibes?

[Image: 06b792f273079271e881d14e20dde80815fc4b1a.jpg]

I've started a new sketching project for the (vampire) character I was originally half doing anatomy studies for. Lowkey been feeling like dirt towards my art lately so I'm hoping a new project will help me push through it and improve my art skills too. The project is basically just big Victorian Goth/Edgar Allan Poe vibes lol. I hope to use it to practice anatomy, hands and mood

[Image: e3ae6efaf98dfffce5a51744aefb5b235f9a0271.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

(01-28-2021, 05:44 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: Been working on colour thumbs for my new skater boy. Finding it hard to pick which one cause they are all a look (though I do need to go back and edit the board a bit more to reflect the clothes palettes). I think they look 80's with their vibes?

Fantastic work! Proportions look super good, folds, everything. I have to disagree on one thing: the pants-in-socks-thing doesn't show up in any of my 80's fashion ref. It's mostly shorts or wide-legged jeans. The socks high up is a big yes though! The finger-accesoires don't look very 80's to me either, but if you're going for a 2020 kid who likes the 80's then I guess its fine!

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself." - Seneca
Sorry you've been feeling rubbish about your art. It's really so great, total pro!

Regarding colour palettes, is he gonna appear alongside the other two? Tried putting them in a line up all together? That might help choose whichever works best as an ensemble. Or if he needs to be different whatever contrasts the most. Just an idea, I'm really a fan of your work!

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@gerbenpasjes Thank you for the feedback! The pants-and-socks design isn't typical/classic 80's, but it was inspired by Tommy Guerrero who rocked that look a fair bit in the 80's. I think I maybe dramatized it too much for sake of silhouette haha. The finger acc are supposed to be colourful Band-Aids, but I might go back and revisit them. Thanks for feedback - definitely given me a lot to think about before I start 'rendering' the design :)

@JyonnyNovice Thanks Jonny! Your encouraging words always mean a lot :) Your idea is super smart, I can't believe I've never thought of it haha. He will be going in the line up with the others, so I'll definitely play around with how he looks with them. Thanks!!

Sketchbook // Insta

Next level line work, could only dream of being that clean. Designs have progressed leaps and bounds too.

@CoreyH Thank you!! Line art is definitely my favourite part of the process haha

----------
Workin' on stuff and finalising my skater design

[Image: fc607d2d90b16e8a511e9478da81c177b795ef66.jpg]
[Image: a20c708d198bc3b27f8af3a0ce014fe9ed373775.jpg]

[Image: c46e4a2d1adc517d97e2dba4395745d9aba0e4cf.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Aw yeah! I can almost hear the 80s soundtrack when looking at that last image! Really nice work!

I really like your approach to the shape design and color palettes in these characters. They all seem to have their own personalities and attitudes.

One thing I would love to see is a proper lineup with all of them side-by-side now that you are getting into their color schemes. That is often a great way to find problems and issues you may have with the design and color.

@Zorrentos Ahaha I'm glad you like! I really want to start pulling in more 80's themes to my drawings, it's such a fun decade to experiment with. Thank you, I'm super stoked to hear that you can get a sense of their personalities through their designs! I've been trying to work really hard on that.
I actually have a crude version of a lineup below I've been using to help with deciding colour schemes (thanks to Jonny's suggestion). I'll make a proper lineup once the character is 'rendered', but this lil group image has been really helpful in planning things out.

------------

(I need to readjust the feet and leg size)
[Image: 9185d2d836d97e0ceafebe8947e6a0496341962b.jpg]

A sketch I have been working on. Profile views are the bane of my existence and idk how to make it look good. I just want to draw hot goth character with luscious hair is that too much to ask lmao. Profiles are something I will be focusing on next and attempting more of. I dont know how people do them and get them to look good  

[Image: 7548a455ab0695a8550b0cbea27d4e3f2858bc44.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

You don't know how people to profiles and get them to look good? You just did it right the chubby_cat!

The eyes, the mouth, the nose - all nicely proportioned and pleasing to look at - good job!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

@Artloader Thanks man! I ended up fixing up some of it during the line art so I'm feeling a lot better about it. Think I'll work on practising profiles for a bit so it becomes easier to draw them. Profile hell here I come hahaha

-----
finished goth boy
[Image: 09eb1200e7789a85f699923e887b866090d83b4f.jpg]

Working on the glamour shot of my skater boy. I've tried to take everything I've learnt from the previous ones and inject it into this piece. I still struggle hard with 'rendering' but I think it's looking okay?
I'm not sure about the shadow colour on the mint shirt and pink T, but I have to keep it warm toned so he matches in with the other skaters I've done 
[Image: 09cdf30575928fbcf3f9e2c583d1ed058678dcd4.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Some more stuff and things

[Image: 6043e2bcae5d4ab4bbdd999e6de05c7089a60966.jpg]

Now I have completed my lil mini series for this. Rough layout of all of them together (will tweak later)
[Image: 03a5646e3145cddc734d824917ebaa9e899009a2.jpg]

Working through another profile sketch. Shamelessly inspired by Leyendecker's arrow collar man illustrations lmao. Will attempt to line art soon. I always feel the head is too big but I think it's really the fullness of the hair that makes it feel that way? idk 
[Image: 1e62ced15292c0009cf241dcc82427f620f767aa.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

I remember constantly lurking into your sb for the months i wasn't inactive hah. Love your stuff! You have really nice approach to things

@Mariyan-Hristov Dude you're so kind. Thank you! Glad you like it :)

----
Lined my goth boy piece. I really struggled hard with the perspective of the hand vs the sleeve cuff.  I feel like it makes the (our) left hand look flat but my mind cant wrap itself around how to fix it. Y'know those feels where you know something looks off but the more you change it the worse it looks lmaaaaaaao

[Image: 4d3fdff4dac5ea1041130948cd2f5ab290f58a0b.jpg]

More profile stuff. The top two are from last year but I went back and redid parts of them to fix past errors 

[Image: 68aa403ce138d6f51cbaa2636316be99dc82e869.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

The goth boy piece is looking great! You got a great sense of drawing folds! I really dig the way the flow and follow the form.

Loving those 80's fits!

I think the reason why the hand appears too flat on the gothic boi is because the position of the fingers you've drawn would make sense if the fingers were spread straight out. Remember, your palm is actually made of several bones leading up to the actual digits themselves and you have a lot of ability to flex them. So when your fingers are relaxed or bending toward the palm instead of away, the palm is being curved along with it. It might seem subtle to some, but just look at your hands and tilt the pinky finger down and look how your hands curve with it.

Also added a paintover for the sleeve because I think you're missing some good gesture opportunity and it's hiding your forms.

Attached Files Image(s)

@Zorrentos Thank you bro! :)

@Eny Thank you so much for the crit and paint over! It's super helpful :) I think you're totally right re the hands - I was definitely drawing them more like rigid rectangles that couldn't flex and curve haha. I'm going to keep that in the back of my mind for all future drawings. Thanks again!

-----
More stuff. Working on anatomy studies again but haven't produced anything successful from it (tbh it's a mood for all my recent drawings). Currently going through Proko's oblique lessons but idk how to draw them without it looking like a mess. Need to study them more

[Image: fe6067b04da3ffba4c90fa95bb631d6fbcf369a9.jpg]

Line art for another piece
[Image: 6e1c1eff48b1296416e49d0b3663e84c038464b4.jpg]
Thought I was vibing with the orange but it might be too intense now
[Image: 2556bdffd56ba8657bdd013370e4d4a777f22907.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta

Those obliques look good with the simple indications! There's some artists like Silverjow and Nesskain who draw linework style guys with lots of bare torsos, could be good to check how those artists do it.

I don't think that orange is too intense at all, can even push the saturation more! Do you know this anime Great Pretender? Has this more 60's style highly saturated BG's but it'd fit for an 80's vibe too, you might get some inspiration from the BG art anyway! https://imgur.com/gallery/XAkkdmn

Comic book creator
Sketchbook
Instagram
Abandoned Hideout Discord Server
Discord: JonR#4453
@JyonnyNovice Damn that Great Pretender art is soooo amazing and inspiring! Thanks for pointing me to it! I've been looking at it and it's already giving me heaps of ideas for one of my next pieces. Thanks for the comments and recommendations! :)

----
Trying to channel those 80's vibes 

Vibing with this piece so far. Was able to really push it thanks to some amazing feedback. Would love to know if anyone has any crit for it? The balancing act for the effect was so hard - always feeling like I'm pushing it too much or not enough
[Image: e62ba12ab1f7041bc93a845460a72c897d613cc5.jpg]

Sketchbook // Insta